Cool item found! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Cool item found!

So I was lawn sailing (not a typo) Saturday, and came across an awesome find I had to have for the Scrambler. It's an instrument panel for an aeroplane, complete with gauges. It's an older one, but has the artificial horizon, compass, wind speed, altimeter, amp, oil temp and pressure, tach (only to 3K though), and some LED warning lights. The best part is I scored it for $10. I also have the e-brakes from a Spectrum and RX-7, along with shifter boots. I have a long list of other small stuff, but they're minor. So this leads me to another question, what other cool stuff have you guys grafted to your jeeps? Other than the axles, trannies, and engines that is.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 10:07 PM

Re: Cool item found!

Need to get you one of the control stick handles with all the buttons on it for the e-brake handle...

Check out http://www.skycraftsurplus.com.
This place gets surplus from all the aerospace companies and NASA.

If you ever go to Orlando, plan to spend an entire day there!
It's the only place I've ever seen you can buy fully functioning lasers for $35.
Titanium tubing, several sizes and wall thicknesses, $2 a foot!
Every kind of latch, catch, flat wire and connector you have ever seen, and 35,000 you never dreamed of!
Almost all of it is mil spec, and is sold by the pound.
They ship UPS too.

This is where I got my night vision, and my lasers, along with tons of other stuff.
You can buy heat tiles off the space shuttle by the pound...!!

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 10:55 PM
FlMudCJ

Hmmm... That'll solve my hot foot problem, space shuttle tiles as a heat shield for my exhaust...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN-

Hell, my CJ is boring, at least compared to what your Scrambler will be when you're done adding the aircraft instrument panel, space shuttle heat shields and probably seat covers made out of Abominable Snowman hides.

Got a big ammo can tool box, held down with bungees. Got a kind of plastic center console cup holder thing held onto the top of the ammo can. With more bungees. Got a YJ radio I swapped for that hangs under the dash. Without the benefit of bungees. Got a thin piece of wood holding my "Jeep" and "CJ 7" emblems from the back of rig; it covers the hole the prior owner cut in the dash for the radio that's no longer there. Got a stainless steel plate on the dash that covers even more stuff the prior owner did in haste and poorly.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.
</font color=blue>
http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 03:08 AM

This is an oldie, but maybe you never heard it: You can get some neat little fold down steps off the front of old school buses, I scored a set for free at a junkyard I used to frequent at my last duty station. I haven't used them yet but if the day ever comes when I'm to old to climb up in my jeep they might come in handy!

Greg
89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-4w disc-35 bfg mt, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I just CANNOT go near an army surplus store.....yeah....I admit it....I'm hopelessly addicted to army surplus. The coolest thing I have is a hand-operated plunger pump with a handle on it similar to a truck gearshift knob. It's all brass, and is designed to mount in the dash and be operated by the driver as a "primer" of some sorts. It is fitted for 1/8" compression fittings. I've never used it, but someday I'll find an application. Some of the old diesels used these and I think they pumped ether or maybe even gasoline to fire them up when they were cold. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:22 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My current Jeep has nothing like this, but for my (English Ford) Cortina, I bought a grenade at an army surplus store and welded a nut into the bottom. I used it for a gear shift knob. I got a lot of strange comments about that one!! It had the pull ring and everything. Pretty kewl.

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:46 AM

CJ Dave, if it's got inlets and outlets with check balls, it's probably an old oil pump.
On the old time engines, the lower end was poured babbitt bearings, that relied on splash, like a lawn mower, and the top end, rockers , ect. were lubed with a hand pump that drew from the crankcase.

Have you ever seen pictures of the old exposed rockers on engines in the old days...??
External push rods, external rocker arms, ect.
On some of them you could see right into the crankcase!

Top end.
That's what you had to oil.
AND, that oil just ran off, usually creating a mess, and the dirt stuck to it in a BIG way.
That's why people wore those goggles and scarfs and motoring coats, to keep the nasties off of them.
That is the way most vehicle engines were produced until WWI, when more dependable and higher horsepower engines were needed for war.

(Technological advancements used for killing each other. STUPID HUMANS!)

There were some old, one shot, fire extinguishers that looked like that too, if it only has an outlet, and no inlet.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 02:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] At skool, the Agricultural Dept had an ADVANCE RUMLEY, one of the very first non-steam traction engines (tractors) and it had a little setup with a crank like an antique phone and six little sight glasses where you could see the oil go down. Once the engine was started I THINK it had a little push rod that was connected to a ratchet and it was self-oiling. You know, now that you have brought this into the light, I BET that cool pump that I have IS a pre-oiler of some kind. It DOES have an inlet and outlet, AND a check ball as well. I could use it on my Jeep to get away from "dry" starts.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode