Help - I messed up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Help - I messed up

I brought the hard top home for my '87 YJ today and was making some connections in the back. It was from a '93 Sahara and came with a rear wiper and defroster. My problem is that i think something shorted out somewhere because the interior lights were initially working and then stopped working. The radio is not working either. I tried the fuse, but it seems to be fine. I used a test light to see if there was power coming into the fuse block, and there did not seem to be. What should I do? Anyone ever have this problem? What should I be looking for? I'm an amteur when it comes to electrical things, but getting better every day. Please help me and steer me in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help - I messed up

this is just a guess,but Ive seen it before, It could be that your fuse is burnt in such a way that you cant see it visually,and when you test it your testing upstream of the fuse.to check this,test both sides of the fuse connection with fuse inserted,if you have power on one side,and not the other its a fuse,or simply replace the fuse even if it "seems" o.k. let us know.

jsjps
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 08:33 PM

Pull the fuse, and use your test light to see if it's socket is getting power.

If it is, test the fuse by putting one side of the fuse blade on the positive side of the battery, and the test light on the other.

If the fuse socket isn't getting any power, check some of the other fuse sockets.
If they have power, the problem is the socket.

If they don't have power, you have smoked the fusible link under the hood at the starter solenoid.

Do the tests and get back with us...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

to the top, please help.

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:27 AM
Robert87yj

I'd go with the fuse idea. I just put in a lot of new light bulbs in the YJ two nights ago. I snapped one of them off and lost all of my parking lights. I looked for 2 hours for the fuse, checking each one several time. I checked it again the next day and found that one of the fuses had burned through, but not by much. Keep checking the fuses, they are designed to be the weak-link in electrical systems.

Good luck,

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:56 AM

Be aware that a de-fogger in the rear glass in the newer hardtops use a relay mounted under the dash so the switch does not have to bear the burden of this circuit's high current draw.
I'm in the process of retrofitting a newer top with wash/wipe and defog and am using an add-on Painless Wiring (3) Circuit Boss to isolate the hard top electrical system. Just have to figger out the '95 style wash/wipe rocker switch pinout now ....

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

to top

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This may or may not help but on my 83 cj the some of the fuses are ran in a series one might blow up the line and some of the others may not get juice let us know what it was when you find your problem.......

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I found the problem, i did not realize that when you test fuses using a light tester, you have to make sure that both sides of the fuse light up. The dome light fuse, which was a 10 amp but should be a 20 amp, blew. problem is all fixed. Thanks all.

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode