Stove Bolt Holes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Stove Bolt Holes

Ok , I want to use a few stove bolts for the new rear floor I`m building for my CJ and would really like to use some stove bolts ( so they sit kind of flush on the floor) . How do I make nice square holes for them ? Anyone ever done this ? Thanks !!

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stove Bolt Holes

i have done this by drilling a hole the size that you want and then made it square with a file.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yep,, I've done it too, it works, your squares arent pretty..but works

DrummondCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 05:32 PM

use a punch, find a flat bladed screwdriver that is the right size on teh shaft, drill teh hole, then hammer the screwdriver thru, youll have to deburr the bottom but itll be pretty and square.

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for all the ideas . I actually scouted around my "old" tools and found this punch that tapers off into a square just the right size. If the metal doesn`t end up spliting then it should work . Hopefully in the next few days I can get a few pictures up , today I rebuilt the rear tailgate support ( where the rear body mounts fasten to the rear cross member) WHAT A JOB [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. AND built an entire new rear skin for the old CJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . By golly , I think I`m becoming a sheet metal expert [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Thanks again !!

Jeff

<font color=red>

Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er....ah...not to put too fine a point on it but aren't you using CARRIAGE bolts (rounded smooth heads)OR ELEVATOR bolts (if they have enourmous round heads and are flat) on your project??[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] A stove bolt is a half-round, threaded-to-head screw, usually used with square nuts.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Well, anyway, that wasn't what I wanted to add......I wanted to mention that some benefit can be derived from drilling sheet metal WAYYYY undersized and then "forcing" the hole to size with a pointed tool, either square(for carriage bolts) or round for maybe a self-tapping metal screw. I learned this installing two-way radios in the dashes of our pickups and trucks. In your case, some benefit may be derived by slightly HEATING the area after you drill the small hole and then "poking" the hole to size....round OR square......like they do the barrels of high-priced rifles.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 08:40 PM

Why not just buy the appropriate square punch and die set from the local electrical supply house.
They are about $10 depending on size, and make those professionals looking square or round holes, no torn metal, and no hammering.

You know, like the ones on electrical boxes?

Eastwood catalog has them too, in a variety of sizes if you can't find them at an electrical supply house or Home Depot.
http://www.eastwoodcompany.com

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Well where in the heck did I come up with the term " stove bolts " [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] . Yes , Carriage bolts is the term I should have used . I thought I had the solution but between your advice and Aaron`s I think I have it in the bag . These moonguys told me they were stove bolts[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] So.......... ah.. ya , its thier fault , ya , thats my story and I`m stickin` to it .

Jeff

<font color=red>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 02:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I kinda wondered about the "stove bolts" myself. But what do I know. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Oh Yeah [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode