Towing with a CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Towing with a CJ

Whats the most weight you guys have towed with your CJ`s or YJ`s ?
I am contemplating towing a boat with mine when it`s finished. I think it would handle my 12 ft. fishing boat but what about a 15 ft. fiberglass boat and trailer ? Just curious . Thanks !!
My specs:
3.54 Gears
304 V-8 w 260H cam , 4bbl , headers ,(will be TR ignition)
33X12.50-15 tires
T-150 3 spd ( for now )

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 12:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Towing with a CJ

What size engine? Tranny? Lift? Tires? Gearing?... let us know..

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used my CJ 7, 304, to pull my 22ft cutty cabin for years. Both long distance and short, and never had a problem. Now that the 304 has puked, I have gone with a rebuilt I-6 258. With the 258, I have noticed, some of the larger hills tend to make her work a little more, But I can still pull my boat. So far, the trips have been short, all within 10 miles or so. One other thing I should add, I slapped a Carter YF 1 barrel, on the 258. I have no doubt, that if I stuck with the 2 barrel BDD....I'd get a lot better performace on those hills. You shouldn't have any problems.

DrummondCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 08:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i knew this crazy guy that towed a cj and 10 tons of crap up the smokey mountians with a cj-7 for 11 hours and no trailer brakes..somehow he survived..but i swore..er... i mean..he said he'd never do anything like that again. your boat?? shouldn't be a problem.. you just have to be very carefull..

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Steve

A 22 footer ? WOW [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] . Then mine should handle a 15 ft. fishing boat . How did your Jeep handle side to side sway ? Reason I ask is I had a 69 Blazer long ago and Jeepchick and I were going down this steep long hill and the tent trailer started to do the side to side sway thing [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . Kind of freaked me out . What kind ( size) of tires did you use when you were towning that boat . Thanks for the help

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your boat/trailer/load of gear combination excedes 1000 Lbs, be sure to install trailer brakes, it's much safer. By activating the trailer brakes with the control under the dash, you usually can stop most sway problems. I believe that the factory recomended tow capacity is around 2000 Lbs.
Hope this helps!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On my older Jeep I was running 31'sx10.5's, and no lift . I also kept my speeds around 60 to( 65) on the straights, I was talking my boat from here on Drummond Island, which is at the mouth of the St. Marys,( the River between Lake Huron and Lake Superior). Up to the Two Hearted River on Superior, which almost 200 miles from here, to salmon fish. When I got into some of the winding stuff I'd had to drop my speed to keep the trailer from pushing me in the turns, the thing Elusive mentioned is very true, you need to take your time and be carefull. ..and for sure mind your braking distance When your trailer starts swaying as you mentioned, as a rule your going to fast, or you dont have a blanced load. Here on the Island I'll often Trailer my boat from one point to another just to cut back the cost of gas, as opposed to driving it around.( Different sides of the island have different species of fish) With the rebuildt 258, 33x 9.5's swamper specials and a 2 inch lift, I dont drive over 55 and often slower, but the Island is nothing but twists and turns,,,very little striaghts

My 1st post was simply to say, your jeep will handle the strain of pulling the load, of that I have no doubt, Some questions you have to ask yourself is how fast to do you want to drive, while pulling it. If your carefull, you should do fine, what you may want to try, is a few short hauls, Get a good feel for the way the trailer acts at different speeds, I recall having to do that before I felt I knew how the whole rig worked in tandem.
That 15ft glass boat shouldn't cause you any trouble. I can tell you this, how squarely my boat is loaded on the trailer, makes a huge difference on how it acts back there

DrummondCJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 05:42 PM
FlMudCJ

I don't know much about boats, but I have done my homework on towing. As a general rule, for adequate towing charastics, the trailler shouldn't exceed the weight of the jeep. If the wheelbase is in the 105-120" range, equal weight trailer and truck is just fine. With the shorter wheelbases, there should be a 500 pound difference in favor of the jeep vs. the trailer weights... The longer your wheelbase the closer you can get the tailer weight to the veichle weight, and even exceed it in most of the long 3/4 - 1 ton trucks...

So figuring on a roughly 3000 pound jeep, I wouldn't tow anything heavier than 2000-2500 pounds, and this is regardless of eninge / transmission / axle's, tires, etc. Those just say how fast you can pull it, weight has to do with how well it will push you.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 09:00 PM

I read this in Good Old Boat magazine about towing boats (or anything else for that matter) and it seems to coincide with most of what you've heard.

The rig (trailer and load) should not exceed the vehicle's weight, unless adequate trailer brakes are installed.
The longer the tow vehichle the less sway will be encountered so tracking is more consistent.
The engine size required is figured by basically knocking off the last digit of the rig's weight. (For instance, if you have a 5000 lb rig, you'd need a 500 cid engine) I'm not too thrilled with that last statement since gearing can overcome loads in an under-powered tow rig at the loss of speed and mileage.

I recentlly trailered a 5500lb sailboat (24' long, 3'9" draft, 7'10" beam, slightly over 10' of verticle height [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]) on a 1000lb (5000lb capacity [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]) twin-axle trailer with hydraulic brakes to the first axle, from New Smyrna Beach on the East coast of Fl to Bradenton on the West coast of Florida with a mid 80s F250 Diesel flatbed. We cruised between 60 and 70 MPH pretty much all the way home. Wow! I love diesels!

Pic of the (my) boat:

Restoring a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast

I towed a single axel Boy Scout trailer to a camporee this spring which was being held at a gravel pit. The pit had a truck scale so I weighed the trailer (2,200#) and my Jeep (2,970#). My CJ pulled that trailer without any problems using a 4.2L with Weber, t-176 and 2.73 gears.

Karl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode