How do you crazy jeepers do it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do you crazy jeepers do it?

I have been wheel'in with an 88 Toy for about 3 years now. I love it, but it is time to move on to something a little more trail worthy....such as an 85 Toy or a CJ-7 (always loved them). Anyway, I have a beer cooler, containers for food, tools, spare parts, tent, sleeping bags, clothes, a dog, shovel....you get my drift. The back of my truck is quite full when we head out. This is the only reason why I am leaning towards the pick-up again. How do you guys get all of that into a Jeep?? (Or is it that I just carry way too much crap!!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How do you crazy jeepers do it?

Very simple, downsize-minimize-get creative! There are dozens of places to safely haul camping gear and spare parts around in a Jeep. Some guys are real pro's at this, I once saw a fellow unpack his CJ-5 after a week long trip for himself and his lady...I could not believe what he pulled out if that Jeep in just a couple of minutes. The two biggies are the spare tire and a big cooler, everything else got strapped into it's own nook or cranny.

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grant is right....minimize, and be creative.

I usd to have a CJ5 which is smalller than a CJ7, and I now drive a Samurai which is smaller still.

Look at storing tools or small spare parts under the hood. I'm just about to bolt a ammo box under the Samurais hood. I've seen people carrying spare drive shafts mounted along the frame rails under the body. I've seen bumpers that have become storage units or air tanks etc. There are lots of ways to build Jamboree racks for the back, and removable top carriers are a good idea too. If you look under the rear deck, between the t-case and the gas tank, you'll see there is room to weld in a storage box. I was thinking of doing this on my next Jeep, but I can't decide whether to use it for a sub woofer or tools.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 08:19 PM

Hehehe- ONCE I took two friends camping with me. I brought 3 2-man tents, 4 sleeping bags, 6 pillows, Coleman 2-burner stove with a gallon of fuel, a 5-gallon jerry bag of water, a full-size spare (carried inside) Clothes for 3 days each and a spare set for mudding in. Tools were a must, lots of food as well, and a 56 quart cooler full of ice and drinks and more food. I put the spare tire on the wheel-well next to the roll-bar, stuck 3 tents between the rollbar and the soft-top window, the pillows in the same location on the other side. The sleeping bags were like a wall behind the two front seats The coleman squeezed in on top of the tranny hump behind the shifter. I have a bucket seat with no frame or anything that just sits in the back for the third person...this we faced backwards so he could climb in and piled clothing bags and a quilt on his lap...all the way to the roof! The cooler kinda squeezed in next to him and more junk on top of that. It was a cold day for Flordia but the kid riding in back fell asleep nice and warm on the trip home! It would have been an easy place to tow a trailer to but...I don't have a trailer.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Basically...where theres a Jeeper, theres a way!

Restoring a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 08:43 PM
sas87yj

get a jeep w/ a soft top![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

my wife and i take the dog and camp out.
sleep bags,tent,stove,clothes, lg ice chest and small ice chest. of course tools and fluids. spare tire mounted on tail gate. have one of those "sport racks" mounted on the tail gate which sets above the spare.

have lots of bungee cords and strap bedding to the soft top frame-work. gets a little crowded!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 08:58 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You may also have the option of dragging a small utility trailer with you .Makes life pretty easy . If your off wheelin` just leave it at the camp (like I had to mention that) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am lucky enough to have found a little m416 trailer to pull behind me jeep, but there isn't a real need to bring that much stuff, since there is no real out of the way places where you have to bring everything. But i know i can bring a BBQ with me when we have a trail ride with a BBQ.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>That's why I have friends with Toys! Carry my stuff![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Toss the back seat, attach stuff to the roll cage, under the hood at your feet, under the seats, between the frame rails... well, you get the picture... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i took out my rear seat. i have an 80 cj-5 and the rear seat was stationary (not a fold and tumble) it took up alot of space and i never take more that on other person so it isn't a problem. even the fold and tumbles take up valuable space when folded up or down. i have lengthened my jeep which solved this problem even though that was not the reason for the stretch. with the cj5 in it's original form it was tight but the key was bungy cords and crank straps.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get yourself a cj-8. Cooler than a cj-7 and hold 2x as much

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode