Has anyone played with longer springs on a CJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Has anyone played with longer springs on a CJ?

Ok, I guess coming over from the Toyota camp I have gotten used to making my own spring packs for added length, height and flex...

I am just wondering if there are any common swaps for putting longer springs under CJ's...

Stock CJ springs are like 45" long - centered pin, right? What about extending the frame in the front a few inches and using some S10 rear springs that are about 51" long in a shackle reversal configuration? Move the front mounts forward about 9 inches would move the axle forward approx. 2" and put the shackle hanger about where most people place it for a normal shackle reversal...

That is the only 3.5" wide spring I can think of off hand, besides the Rancho 44044 springs that are 2" longer than stock and seem to flex very good on a variety of applicaions...

Whether I stick with a CJ5 or CJ7, I plan to extend the front of the frame and wheelbase, so that may change what springs I wuld use from most poeple working with the stock frame dimentions...

Any thoughts from other people who have played with building spring packs? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Has anyone played with longer springs on a CJ?

i have never done it but i'm sure i could be. be sure to look at the spring rates and make sure they han handle torqe, and weight of your jeep. if i were building a jeep like yours and wanted a suspention i'd look strongly at a 2.5" soft ride lift for a yj. i really don't know which would be best but i saw a guy spring under in a yj with a 4" super lift super ride kit and i was amaxed with the flex. i'm sure you can get with the company and get just the springs because i know you don't need all the other stuff on your's. just put them on in a spring over mannor. you'll have to redo your front hangers though. yj's use 2.5" springs front and rear and the cj's had 2.5" rear and 2" front.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 01:29 PM
Nickmil

We just did that on a 3b sitting on an early 5 frame. Instead of lengthening the front of the frame we moved
the rear spring mount back and extended the spring back on the front and forward on the rear. The
axle locating pin obviously is offset, but the setup works extremely well. The Jeep scored 1100 on a
23 degree ramp when we went to Moab for the EJS this year. It's not bad on the street either and
washboard roads aren't a problem anymore. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 01:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i was seriously looking at putting some full size ford springs in the back of my jeep.. the center pin isn't centered on them, so i wanted to just move the solid perch further forward.. but it never happened......those are soft springs too...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I could use the YJ springs, but I am just too cheap to pay for another lift kit [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

2.5" YJ lift springs are generally only about 46" long, and I was wanting something longer - more like 50" to 56".

As for the springs info, I already have most of the major manufacturer's catalogs with spring info - ProComp, Rancho, Trailmaster - and some of it is up on my web site : http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota/spring_swap_info.htm

Again, I mainly use the lift specs to work backwards to stock springs that could work. Stock springs are practically given away at local off road shops, and I have about 20 assorted spring packs here I use for other spring packs I have built.

The change in spring width from 2" to 2.5" doesn't reall bother me - if I swap frames I will have to replicate the outboard spring hangers again, and the change would be simple to make at that time.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Are you saying you used the Rancho 44044 springs, or some other spring? Sounds like whatever you used worked out well... Is that Jeep a fairly heavy Jeep, or pretty light?

Thanks [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I hear ya on the Ford springs - I was at the junkyard today with a tape measure and measured a set of Ford springs to be like 56" long with a 25"/31" split for the center pin location [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] L O N G !

Add in some leaves from one of several 2.5" wide spring under vehicles (for the arch) and to add to the spring rate...

I was wanting to extend the front of the frame and wheebase, so I could move the front hangers forward about 10" (in a shackle reversal configuration). That would place the axle 25" from the front eye - effectively moving the axle forward 7.5" and that would place the shackle about the same place it would be on on any other shackle reversal setup.

Adding 7.5" to the wheelbase would put a CJ5 right around a 90" wheelbase, right? What is the stock wheelbase of a CJ7?

It could work [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Longer springs sound real good, one of the things I would like to try, but right now, I wouldn't have any benifits, because My 11 inch travel shocks are my limiting factor. It might give it a softer ride, though. I think the wheelbases are
81 inches on earlier CJ5's
84 inches 76 and later CJ5's
94 inches on CJ7's
104 inches on CJ8's

I am sure somepne will correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks, Ray

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

An easy swap on the rear of a CJ is to use XJ rear springs. The length of the spring from front to center is roughly the same, the rear end is 4" longer. The front rubber bushing is much larger, allowing more flex, and fits the CJ hanger just fine. All you need to do is rotate the rear hangers so that the eye end is rearwards. I plan on doing a rear spring over on my CJ8, using these springs along with add-a-leafs to get enough lift and spring rate, if necessary.

Hope this helps, good luck!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

It seems like you are talking about a spring pretty much the same as the Rancho 44044 spring that is used in the front of older Wagoneers and J trucks. These springs both in aftermarket and stock form are 47" long with a 22.5"/24.5" center pin split. This would do as you say and keep the axle in the stock position in the rear, but move the eye where the shackle is back about 2" - for likely a good shackle angle with the stock mounting locations (no changes).

But since you mentioned flipping the shackle hanger around, I guess you are talking about the later model XJ's - with a 51.5" lenght and a 23"/28.5" center pin location. That would move the axle back about .5" (added arch may counteract that) and add 5" to the back similar to your description...

Just for comparison, I do not know the spring rate of the rear XJ springs, but Rancho uses 280 lbs. per in, on their 2.5" lift rear CJ springs and 300 lbs on the 44044 springs meant for the front of Wagoneers & J trucks. I would think somewhere around 260 or 275 would be a decent rate to start from - not too light, but not too heavy either...

The only problem is for some reason I think the rear XJ springs are somewhere around 180 to 200 lbs in rate - quite a bit too low for Jeep use with trail gear in the back, etc.

Confusing, huh? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] thanks for the reply! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode