Just when you think you have it all figured out... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Just when you think you have it all figured out...

Is there anything more frustrating that having to learn about a new vehicle? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I have been up to my neck in Toyota stuff for about 5 years. Checking out all of the major Toyota web sites, the shops and people on the cutting edge of modifications, building a great trail vehicle...

Then I go and get myself another Jeep... and that is where my trouble starts [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

So I start looking around, trying to get back in the groove with Jeeps. It is overwhelming! I have tried all along to read all of the magazine articles about EVRYTHING, be it Jeep, Toyota, Chevy, Ford... always keeping in mind it may come in handy some day. But tonight while trying to find info on a Dana 44 high steering setup options, and other Jeep specific mods, I am about as frustrated as I can be! Where do I start?

I guess I just got so used to knowing the in's and out's of Toyota's that it is very un-nerving to find myself back int he infant stages of building a vehicle...

Anyway, just venting - and wondering if any of you can relate [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Just when you think you have it all figured out...

<font color=blue>Not sure I should admit to this, but we dumped my wife's Montero Sport, and replaced it with a VW Jetta 1.8Turbo. Building this thing is the complete OPPOSITE of building a Jeep... light and fast is the key. I actually want to buy sway-bar ENHANCERS[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]... go figure.

But man, is it fun to drive... the whine of the turbo... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Let the harrassment begin.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Ahhh... so you know the pain of having to collect all new parts manuals, vehicle specific parts catalogs, venturing out on the web to new sites you haven't even considered before, learing what works and doesn't work for that vehicle...

Rought isn't it? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Oh well, added knowledge is never a bad thing [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you think that you are going to catch some flack, just wait until you read what I would suggest. How 'bout finding yourself a nice TLC to build. Those things have classic lines like a jeep, but definitly Land Cruiser. If you are having that hard of a time getting info on the Jeep, you just need to look harder. But, if you are that connected to the Toyota world this could be just the ticket. Man a built TLC works great.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

In all honesty - I would be up to just about any donor vehicle for the body and frame... My only requirement is that it seats more than 2 people (with a baby on the way - I am preparing now for future family outings [amile]).

The CJ5 is just too dang short for full width axles and 38" tires IMHO. I would lengthen the front about 7", and maybe move the rear axle back about 2", but that is still only about 92" wheelbase - and I would like something in the 100" to 105" wheelbase (strangely the same as my Toy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

A CJ of some type will definately make mounting up the 360 a lot easier... and I have always been a little partial to the CJ's over the TLC's...

But never fear - Sunday I am headed to look at a CJ7 body and frame - keep those fingers crossed it is worthy of purchasing and I can get it for less than the $550 asking price [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 01:26 AM
Gibby

Its a bitch learning a new vehicle. Especially if its an orphan like my 67 Jeepster.
they don't make ANYTHING for it.
Gibby

"If you trade a little freedom for a little security, soon you will have neither."
--Ben Franklin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 08:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Didn't H8Monday post a pictorial on his front end re-work with the high steering adaption? It was an awesome setup, and he went into a lot of detail about how he did it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks CJ Dave! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I though I remembered someone posting some pics, but could not remember who... Do you happen to remember the thread title so I can go back and check?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 11:10 AM

Where is h8monday anyway? I know he was moving but I figured he would be online by now. Man I have a whole bunch of questions on that console he made. later ken

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 11:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] H8 is most likely ramrodding another job that was hopelessly behind schedule. H8 is kind of the company troubleshooter. Which console WAS that anyway?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode