Swing UP tire carrier - UPDATE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Swing UP tire carrier - UPDATE

This is obviously a "prototype".

Defination of "prototype": After measuring 15 times and cutting once, it still isn't the way it's supposed to be. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

May have to move the stand holding the tire backwards 2 or 3 inches, the high lift jack brackets will have to be modified, rear brackets aren't finished yet and it needs to be painted.

Other than that, it's coming together quite well. The stand holding the spare is a "stand off" bracket from my TomKen swing out tire carrier. Finally found a use for it.

When it is finished will supply detailed pics.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-198906-Swingout4.jpg (80.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 08:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Swing UP tire carrier - UPDATE

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That's a very impressive arrangement, Doug......very impressive. Those tail lamps......why hasn't someone done that before. I guess we all LIKE snagging anything and everything as we walk around the rear corners of our Jeeps. Is that spare counterbalanced in some way for lift-assist? I can't tell by the pictures.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>Those tail lamps......why hasn't someone done that before.

Actually, the tail light deal is pretty common, at least in my neck of the woods. Very easy too. All you do is cut the body out to accept the stock tail light, cut the nubs off the back of the housing where the lense screws screw into the housing to hold the lense on and drill small holes in the body so the the lense screws hold the whole unit in place. Also have to ground each light because the original mounting bolts don't do the grounding job anymore.

>I guess we all LIKE snagging anything and everything as we walk around the rear corners of our Jeeps.

I have pulled the license plate holder off twice and screwed up one tail lite on the trail. They are now out of the way - and I think look better too.

>Is that spare counterbalanced in some way for lift-assist?

Absolutely. Here's the way it works. You close your eyes, say, "hummmmmm, hummmmm, hummmm", think LITE, grab it and assist it to an upper position. Honestly, I have not even raised it yet. Only got it installed - in its UNfinished condition - a couple of hours ago, but I don't think it's going to be a problem to raise. After all I lifted the spare up there by myself and installed it.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 09:00 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey, looking good [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Any idea how large a tire will physically fit between the roll bars on your new mount? Just wonderin' [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A bunch bigger than the Q78 that's there now, a 44" easily, I think, but it will extend over the tail gate. The Q78(35.5", cause I measure it) will just fit inside the tail gate. Anything larger will stick back over the tail gate, but there is a lot of room sideways - between the roll bars.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode