axle setup-final plan - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

axle setup-final plan

Hopefully this is what i will be using for axles (if i can find them)..
rear-
dana 44 from isuzu rodeo
4.27 gearing with trac-loc
disc brakes-OR-
older (60's) scout dana 44
4.27 gearing

front- dana 44 from narrow track waggoneer narrowed 3 inches.
4.27 gears.

This way I only have to buy one set of gears for the front, and if everything goes to plan I will have enough money to buy a locker for the rear, in which case I will move the rear trac-loc to the front. I'd perfer to go with the isuzu rear because then I can go 6 lug all around. If I go with the scout then I'll have to convert the front to 5 lug. I'm open to any criticism from all you axle experts. Thanks to all [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: axle setup-final plan

Not an expert, that's for sure.........[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Just a question: Are those Isuzu Dana44s an aluminum housing (I've forgotten)?

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope, those are the isuzu "corporate" made axles or something like that. I'll bring a magnet along just in case [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 07:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

um... i would find some 1/2 or 3/4 ton running gear from the early 70's or the 60's.. that would be 44's or 44/60.. and most of them had 4.10's.. and you could pick both of them up for the price of that isuzu 44.. and then just by two lockers.. for 400 if you want posi's.. rebuild and cut them down.. probably for just over a grand.. or just leave them the size.. since you would get a matching set..
but i am a cheap sob..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, your right. I spent a bit of time looking for an isuzu axle just on the net to see how common they are, and well, nothing. So IF i do find one, it's gonna cost an arm and a leg. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board. Heres a few more ideas that I ruled out before but sound kinda good right now.
-ford 9 inch from an early bronco-there's a write up about this on the ORC jeep page. Bad thing is the front dana 44 is off-set the wrong way [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
-that dana 60 s/f (i think) 8-lug rear sitting under the 85 ford 3/4 ton van that I have. Not sure about the gearing, I'll get it ripped out soon. I think it has all new brakes though
-go find an old dodge and rip the axles out of it (what side is the front diff on?)
-keep the rear 20, add 1 piece axles and gears.
-IH scout front and rear 44's. What gears did they come with?

Jeez, I thought I had my mind made up for once. Well, it's all for the better anyway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again

Keith
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 07:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well.. broncos had crummy gears.. most d60 had 4.10's.. most.. not all.. i would use that axle.. and find something for the front.. pre 80 wagoneers are good.. 6 lug tho.. front 44's out of a 3/4 ton would work.. same bolt pattern.. and most likely would have the same gears..
i do not see the point in putting a d44 in place of the 20 tho.. for the money for one piece shafts.. and a posi.. you would only have a d44 in your jeep.. with no locker.. never downgrade.. 20 has a bigger r&p... which is where you want your money..
use the 60.. . find a 44 for the front.. trust me.. youll love it..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 02:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey... i did look for that axle extencively...i found a few with 4.27 and the trac lock, but the very cheapest i found one for was $650... now that might not be all bad if you put the trac lock in the front and put a detroit in the rear....you save the $$$$ for a front posi...but you still have to buy gears, a detroit, ...well. i just ended up useing my AMC 20........

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: axle setup-HA! is anything every final?

Hmm. 650 isn't too too bad considering you get gears, posi and rear discs, but still got to buy then narrow a front then get gears etc. OK, IF the ford van does have 4.10 gears in it i'm pretty sure I will use that axle. I'm pretty sure it's narrower than a normal F/S axle, so I won't cut it down. What kind of posi did they put in d-60's from the factory? was it any good? I might have to live with that for a little while until I can afford a locker.

now to the front axle. Theres a couple of deceased jimmys around with 10 bolt and d44 fronts. Sure I'd like to use the d44, but the one I have doesn't have lock-in hubs or brakes and has 3:73 gears. I have to find it too, i got a feeling it might be underwater (LONG story). Then theres these 10 bolts. I know the rear c-clip design sucks, but there's nothing that wrong with the fronts, right? They have a 8.5 inch ring gear, and i have at least 2 of them with decent brakes. Would these be worth narrowing for the front? I have access to pretty much all the tools I would need between home, friends, and school. Thanks a lot Elusive and jeepgod, you guys are a great help!!

Keith
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 12:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: axle setup-HA! is anything every final?

almost every factory limited slip is a trac loc.... you know.. they kind that works ok till the clutch disks get worn out.. they last about 25000 miles before they are shot, but the clutch packs are only $60 and easy to put in.
as for the front.......well.. i keep swearing I'll never build another 44.. even though i havent EVER had any problems with mine..i just wanna 60...but... if you are going spring-over, the full size chevy dana 44 is an excellant choice, spring under, and it's scout all the way....oh yeah.. your rear axle has what bolt pattern??.. so many things to look at.. i looked for a long time before i decided to build mine, then i wished i did it differently. I still like the 73 chevy dana 44..seems like the perfect front axle...except it's too wide..but it has nice thick axle tubes, and easy to find with 4.10 gears....
as far as the 10 bolts...i really don't know.. i know that they are supposed to be the same strength, and i know that some parts are even the same for the axles...hmmm thinking of that.... maybe you could use the dana 44 and bolt the 10 bolt outers to it(ball joints out)...you would still need a gear swap if the front is different though..just a thought.. i dunno if it would work....

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode