Hard top - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Hard top

I know this is going to sound really stupid, but I might be picking up a hard top for my '87 YJ this weekend and the current owner claims he does not have any of the hardware for it. I never had a hard top, so don't know what hardware I will need. I'd like to get it before I go to his house so that I can actually put it on my Jeep and drive home with it. I would imagine I will need some nuts and bolts, but if anyone can give me a rundown of what exactly i need and if i will be able to just pick it up in home depot or a similar store, i would really appreciate it. Thanks

Donny

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 06:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hard top

yes that is probably what he is talking about.. take some C clamps.. those type that are big and flat.. they use them for truck tops.. but get them small enough for your jeep.. or heck.. just use any C clamps you can find.. vice grips work well too..
he might also be talking about the rear hatch hinges.. but take something to hold it onto the jeep..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

back to top, picking it up tommorow morning, need advice on how to secure it to my jeep for the ride home, the current owner does not have any hardware for it. Thanks

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The sides are bolted on with bolts. The stock ones have a flat nut that goes on the bottom. Look at your Jeep along both side rails and you will know approx what size and how many you need. The front lip fits down on the windshield frame and is secured with simple "sheetmetal looking screws". Once again, look and see if the top of your windshield has pre-drilled holes and use those for comparison. I believe this info should work for your YJ. I have a CJ but I use YJ doors and a hardtop. Good Luck. Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One more thing. When you get everything settled, do yourself a big favor. Go to Wal-mart and buy some of the adhesive truck campertop padding ( approx. $2.00). It comes in rolls and works great to seal the hard top to the jeep and helps prevent damage. Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode