Drill Sharpening Weekend!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Drill Sharpening Weekend!!!!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I see that Jo-Jo's thread got quite a few hits on the drilling techniques which is actually drill SHARPENING techniques, and I want to caution you that drills will not always turn out OK on the first try. You'll have to go back now and then, but that's OK, you'll eventually get it right. Just don't SETTLE for a lazy cutting bit. GO BACK and try re-shaping and soon you will be making those professional-looking shavings that you see in the machine shop, that are working their way across the floor out the rear door and into the alley, while the overall-clad grizzled old machinist leans back on the bench and keeps an eye on the cut.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When the crap REALLY comes down and we have to make our own guns, these skills will be handy to have[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Drill Sharpening Weekend!!!!

MAN!,i like your attitide!

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 06:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yep right up there with the moltive cocktail.. reloading.. potatoe gun.. dandolion whiskey.. all great skills to have.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 11:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Dave

Question .

Is there any particular grinding wheel you are using for sharpening the bits or is it just a standard 6" bench grinder ?

Here in Canada they are trying to ram this gun licensing down our throats by the new year . Whats a gun owner to do .

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oh no, here we go again!

Jeff, are you joking or haven't you been here long?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

There's almost more talk about guns, and how much of a burden it is to be a white male heterosexual in America than there is about Jeeps sometimes.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

No they are not in danger of losing their right to bare arms, just their right to buy M-60s at 7-11.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm afraid you probably just lit the match to a big whinny drowning bore session about GUNS on a JEEP board.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

This was a somewhat light hearted pre-emptive strike on what I knew would be coming anyway.............[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 10:17 AM

Check out this web site.
http://www.jlindustrial.com
Order a catalog, (HUGE thing) and check out what's available.
Wait for the little sale flyers where stuff is cheaper.
They are REALLY expensive on most of the stuff, but they print a great catalog.

Drill bit sharpening takes an EDUCATED, STEADY hand or a good drill sharpening guide...
Especially if you want Quad cut or self piloting drills, you will have to buy a guide or sharpening machine.

A specialty stone is required for precision work, but any old fine or extra fine grinding stone will work for sharpening what I call 'Hack' drills.
The ones you use for drilling holes 'about there...' or in wood or something like that.
You won't be able to trust them for say, drilling holes for tapping or pressing in pins, but most people do that stuff just about never....

I have my 'Hack' drills laying out handy, but my precision drills are locked away at all times!!
The last thing I want to see is a new shop kid using a specialty parabolic, left had twist precision sized, extra long reach drill as a punch!! There goes $100 real quick!!
AND IT HAS HAPPENED...

Anybody with kids either is having, or will have the same problem...
If they loose a $2 hack drill, who cares?
Let them loose a $2,000 precision stepped reamer, and see if the deification doesn't hit the rotary wind machine! (sh*t hit the fan!)

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 11:24 AM

I hear you on the expensive bits /drills . I had this hub on my CJ with a broken off bolt inside. After extraction failed and it now had a broken bolt AND a broken off easy-out inside I took it to the machine shop and told the guy what was in there and he said he would try and then when I got back a day later he was mad because it screwed up his "expensive" bit . If he thought it wasn`t going to work then he should have turned down the job . The result was the damn thing was still inside the hole , just a bit shorter. Had to buy a used hub [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] End of story . Thanks for the tip on the catalog Aaron .

Jeff

<font color=red>

Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 11:32 AM

Re: Oh no, here we go again!

Jo-Jo . Where does that big rock crawling event take place on the Island ? Or do they still have that going ? I`m not to far out of Vancouver [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

<font color=red>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Couple of comments regarding CJDaves post.

Assume this got started from actually sharpening drill bits. I bought a Drill Doctor a few months back. Works like a champ. Different tip angles as well as split point. My drill bits, which I use on the lathe as well as in hand held drills work fine. Was in a shop a couple of days ago, and the subject of drill sharpening came up. That shop had tried the Drill Doctor and was not real happy with the results. Reason? "It doesn't sharpen like it used to." I think DD says the cutter is good for about 300 uses. Guess is that the shop has far exceeded that.

Second. Dave says, "GO BACK and try re-shaping and soon you will be making those professional-looking shavings that you see in the machine shop, that are working their way across the floor out the rear door and into the alley,"

Last week at a meeting of the Houston Home Shop Machinest Club a member brought in some things he had been working on to show the members. Very casually he took a big chip out of a box and tossed it on a table. "Thought y'all might be interested in seeing a 138 foot long chip." Looked like a long skinny slinky. No telling how long it would have been if stretched out straight.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 12:45 PM

When I was 19 (seems like yesterday) I went to work in a machine shop. My first job was to sharpen about 2000 drill bits they had in a big pile on the floor. Small ones up to about 3"! I built 6 racks to hold all the bits when I was done. When I finished, (weeks later) I could sharpen pretty good. Its a skill I have used many times over the years since. I'm still not sure why they had thousands of $$$ worth of bits in a big pile like that. Maybe they just waiting for some dumb kid to come along and do the dirty work!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode