How critical is it to shim your starter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How critical is it to shim your starter?

I put in a new starter the other day. Lost the shims that were with the old starter. Now it sounds kinda loud. Someone told me to shim it? How do you do know what size/how much to shim? How long will it last before damage is done to the starter or flywheel?

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How critical is it to shim your starter?

John,
Shims are there for a reason.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Unless you like to keep replace either flywheel, starter or both, then I wouldn't bother put shims on it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
AIM: nycjeep88

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 02:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] John......I have had more starter trouble with Chev-Lays than anything I have ever owned, but you CAN get them to be quiet if you just get a shim kit and start trying the shims. Use the LEAST shim that will give quiet operation. OR......you can just let it go and wreck the fywheel as the previous poster says. Actually, first it wrecks the starter drive and THEN THAT wrecks the flywheel. I just wanted to clear that up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 05:13 PM

An old GM engineer once gave the secret of GM starters...
An 1/8" drill bit between starter and flywheel.
No More, No Less. It's worked for me for over 20 years...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Teamrush nailed it.but thats sometimes hard to do layin' in the drive way.Get a coulpe of each shim(thick and thin),start with a thin and listen,shims are cheap,and you will use them someday.seems like a pain i know,but its a lot faster than changing a flywheel

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 06:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Oh.....and one other thing....only use the GENUINE knurled O.D. GM starter bolts.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 06:26 PM

I'm so amazed at how may people that have been turning wrenches for YEARS and don't know that.
Most of the chevy guys don't even know that...
It's too easy.
I have a selection of different 1/8" wires bent into strange shapes to get to the clearance...
1/8" from starter drive gear shaft to the flywheel teeth, and all your problems go away.
In 25 years I've never seen that fail to work...
Works on the V-6 starters too.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 06:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Are you saying that the wire goes IN the bottom of the tooth groove of the flywheel and the starter tooth is held that distance away? Is that how this works?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 07:04 PM

Nope,
Point a tooth directly at the starter drive spindle shaft.
Going with the flywheel/ flexplate, you want the drill rod to just slip in between the tooth and the shaft.

The starter drive gear will be back out of the way, so only the shaft it slides on is out that far.
Go with the flywheel teeth, and against (cross 'T') the starter drive gear spindle shaft.

Exactly 1/8" is what you are shooting for.
If the dust cover comes off in the right place, this isn't hard.
If it's way up in a bell housing somewhere, it's a B*TCH! With a capitol "B"!!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 08:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Ahh......I see it now. Boy...it's hard to believe that the root diameter of the drive gear is so small. 1/8" is not all that much. So you shim or de-shim to get the 1/8" rod to fit up close. That's not too hard. I have NEVER heard of this little technique.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode