Clutch Linkage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Clutch Linkage

The linkage broke on my CJ, luckily it waited the nine hours it took me to get back to school and then went a block from my apartment. Talk about the Jeep gods actually doing something in my favor for once.
Anyway, it turns out that the part that bolts to the bellhousing popped out of the crank thingy. When I went to put it back together the two wouldn't mesh. I could not get the ball end to fit into the crank. It looked like there was some type of lining inside the crank that was missing on the bottom section. I din't remember seeing this when I bought the parts, so I don't know what the heck it is.
Also, is there a difference if the rod connected to the pedal is reversed. I mean is there a specific way for it to go?

thanks everyone

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 12:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Clutch Linkage

yes that rod goes one way.. the other way.. it should hit the firewall..
and inside that crank housing.. the long part that bolts to the firewall.. there are plastic bushings in each end.. these do go bad.. you can get them from 4wdh or quadrtec.. one of those should have them.. its a pretty easy rebuild.. im not sure what all you get with them.. since i rebuilt mine like 5 years ago.. but i had the same problem.. you can get the bushing.. and everything that goes into the end of the crank..
make sure its tight on your bell housing.. those sometimes come loose.. and fall out..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget also, since the bellcrank might be covered in grease and you might not notice, the bushings are held in with some thin clips that go thru a slot in the bellcrank.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ya, just like he said.........[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There is the little cup/bushing and a retaining clip that goes on after you insert the ball joint in the cup/bushing. Make sure the bell housing end ball joint mount, and the firewall end joint are securely bolted down.

You can still drive it like it is. You just need to wrap a strong bungee cord around the bellcrank, and attach it under the drivers floor panel. This will keep the ball joint from popping out. If this is your daily driver and you have to wait a few days for the parts, this "may" be a solution for you. You have to wiegh the odds.

<font color=red>Disclaimer: This is what I did, and it worked for a year until I finally parted out the Jeep. BUT......I wouldn't call this a safe or proper repair. It worked for me, but that is me!</font color=red>

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

It looks like one of the bushings inside the end of the bellcrank went bad. It seems like I really had to stretch the whole setup to get it to reach the bellhousing. I've gotta do something with it cause I'm tired of walking.

thanks for the help

Sean

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 12:59 PM

I just redid my clutch linkage, and I couldn't get those stupid clips in. How are they supposed to go, and whats the easiest way?

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 05:56 PM

I got the parts for mine from a jeep dealership and I probably paid through the nose for them,cause i didn't want to wait .As I recall the bushing ,rubber boot ,and clip came as a kit ....one for each side ,go figure,
I think ...the bushing goes in the bellcrank then slide the ball end of the mount into that. then put the retaining clip in with the rubber boot already on the mount bracket,the boot slides over the clip

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 06:15 PM

If you think that is fun wait till you have to replace the bearings in the clutch pedal pivot.when you push your clutch to the floor and it stays there .
it seems that the heavy overcenter spring puts alot of pressure on the bearings causing them to form a groove in the pivot shaft ...but the real fun part aside from the overcenter spring is that snapring on the shaft,I must have screwed around with that for about two hours and was ready to cut a hole in the dash to be able to see what i was doing ...of cource I didnt have the right size curved tips for the snapring pliers I had so I had to bend a straight set.As usual the dealers that even knew what I was talking about wanted three times as much as quadratech for the bearings....I did not see them listed in 4WD drive parts catalog...they are bearings not bushings...

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 03:30 PM

I kept waiting for someone else to bring up this topic, but noone has, so here goes.
Now would be a perfect time to upgrade to a hydraulic clutch linkage. you can get the parts from partsmike, quadratech, 4WDH, or just about anyplace else. You need the master and slave cylinders, and the hyd. line to connect them. You also have to drill a hole in your clutch pedal to connect the master cylinder, but it's a real easy swap.

Bob

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OH NO! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Bob, you brought up the dreaded hydraulic vs. bellcrank clutch topic. Didn't you know it was taboo, kinda like the 258 vs. 304 the manual vs. automatic, or the CJ vs. Wrangler arguments. Some of the longest and weirdest threads have been on this topic! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Just kidding, there have been many posts on this, I don't think anyone has ever given the definitive argument for either side, maybe because both have plenty of pluses and minuses.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode