Engine Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine Swap

Need as much info as possible, thinking of removing 2.5l from 94 yj and installing 258 6 cyl. What to expect? Is it feasible, worth the effort, potential problems. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine Swap

Just one question. WHY?

http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 10:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] My moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] are asking the same question.....WHY?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Picture the kid in the yard with his Jeep apart: His Ma comes over and asks: "What're you doin" son?" "Well ma." he replies, "I'm taking this engine out so I can put in an engine that will require a 2000 dollar head upgrade, before it will run decent, and then all I'll have to do is fight leaks and problems for the rest of the time I own the Jeep." "Er...that's nice son." Ma replies and goes back to hangin' clothes on the clothesline.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] 258 guys....PLEASE don't pounce on me....I KNOW they DO run, and they DO pull Jeeps, but still....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

um.. sorry dave.. i have to pounce..
the 258 is a great engine.. with some work.. if you can rebuild it.. or get one that is rebuilt.. then throw on a holley.. with an intake.. and a good valve cover.. i loved mine.. way easy.. and i just love K.I.S.S

but they do require work if not in good shape.. and anything is better than that 4.. ugh..

but to stay fair.. i would also put in a 4.0 with fuel injection before the 258.. but that all depends on what you have..

is it hard.. mmm.. kinda.. you will spend some money.. and even more time..
items to think about..
1. new drive shafts.. front will be to short.. rear to long..
2. radiator
3. new bell housing
4. new engine mounts

those are some of the big ones.. dont forget exhaust work.. and hooking up the engine to the wire harness..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Good, informative post, Pat... Nobody thinks about all that stuff until they get into the project. Is that 4-banger a Chevrolet fit on the tail end? Can he use a GM family engine easier? Like a SB chevrolet Vee Ate.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yes that 2.5 is gm.. will it work with a small block... not sure.. i think it would.. but dont hold that on top of me.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 02:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The AMC/Jeep 2.5l uses the small GM FWD pattern, common to 2.8Ls and 3.8L FWDs, The tranny would handle a 2.8, but would be marginal for a 3.8L Buick V6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode