axle upgrade. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

axle upgrade.

If anyone has been reading my post on the Waggie 44's you know my current dilemma. Would I have to weld new hangers for the Scout 44's or would they "bolt right up". How about the Explorer 8.8? Also, what are the lengths compared to the AMC 20? I am looking for a good way to upgrade my axles without ordering some Curry or dynatrac axles. I don't want to spend a fortune( I have already spent approx. 4,000.00 in mods and add-ons) due to buying a house,tuition,etc. I also want to be able to do most of it myself while keeping it road-worthy. Thanks, Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: axle upgrade.

yes you would have to weld new hangers for the scout front but not the rear. the explorer 8.8 has a diferent 5 lug than the cj front. it has the same lug pattern as the wranglers. the exploer axles are usually expensive too.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brian, how does the width of the Waggie 44 relate to the Scout 44 or Explorer 8.8? Since I have the Waggie front end I could just sell the rear end and locate another rear. I know I can modify the lug pattern. I am just pulling out my hair here!!!! Thanks, Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it depends on wheather or not you have the wide track wagoneer axles or not. what does the front end measure from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface? if it is narrow track it will be about 61" if it is narrow track it will be about the same as a scout rear. if you can find one the 80's wagoneer rear would be alittle easier because of the 6 lug and all but as stated before it really doesn't matter. by the way the rear of the narrow track wagoneer is about 59". yes the front is wider. i hope this helps.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I have decided to just beef up the 20 with 1 pc. axles and weld the tubes. I know it wont be as strong as a 44 but it fits the bill for me right now. Now I just have to sell those 44's....... Thanks, Chad

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you know how to weld and have cutter, why don't you narrow your D44. You can buy a ford style rearend end cap for $63.00 a pair so you can used ford axle. The bolt pattern are the same. And $60.00 to shorten and respline the axle. That's what I did on mine with narrowed D44 front and narrowed 9" rear. It saves me a lot of money.

CJ5-70/V6/TH350/D18/D44/9"/PB/PS

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

put your axles forsale on the suzuki board. i saw that a guy was looking for some on there the other day.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 06:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i hate to say this.. but that amc 20 with one piece axle shafts.. and welded tubes.. is going to be as strong.. or stronger than a d44.. i myself would never get rid of a 20 for a 44..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you weld the 20's housing to the tubes don't weld it all the way around. the weld will harden the metal and will eventually crack due to stress. just weld in the eye holes on either side of the diff cover. ther is one on each side.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys! That is what I am going to do. When you say "weld the eyeholes only", do you mean the circles on the end of each tube? I am glad you said that because I had planned on welding all the way around. That is my one true flaw: MORE IS ALWAYS BETTER!!! I cant begin to tell you how many bolts I have broken due to this philosophy. I saw where I get Superior axles and a Detroit for $729.00. Then I will weld the tubes and truss them and I should be set(right?). I know this leaves the crappy front end but, I'll cross that bridge when I get there (in the middle of nowhere, I am sure). I have one more question. The front end has the steering box on it. I am in current need of a new one. Is the Waggie box the same piece of crap I am already using? I wanted to thank everyone for their patience with me. This is my first time dealing with the axle situation. After reading all of the theories, it did not click until I started. Finally, thanks for not calling me an idiot, Brian. God knows you must have been thinking it!!!! Btw, thanks for the words of encouragement, Jeepgod. Coming from you I feel much better about my 20. Thanks, Chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode