Idea to keep land open - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Idea to keep land open

Ok, here is my idea. Each national forest (or where ever you go off road) make it so you have to
be a member to go trail riding. They could setup gates and what not and have someone at the
gate checking membership. Any local clubs could get a group rate or something like that, and
then the club membership would be an automatic national forest membership. All this would
cost the land owner money (the state, gov, privet, what ever), but that could be reflected in the
membership cost. Sure it would cost more to go trail riding, but you have to pay to play. The
idea is that people would clean up after them selves if the land manager has their name and
address and its likely that only responsible people would want to be members. Plus a yearly
cleanup could be mandatory. Sure all of this is harsh, but its that or no trails at all. Just an
idea, lets see how I get flamed now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 04:36 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Idea to keep land open

What is it with flaming? Why should you get flamed? Not a bad idea as a whole, but something to ponder.

You'll get those rednecks who think they have to get something more for their money, and they'll figure they can do as they want. This could mean more trash, or vandalism, and imagine a bunch of yahoos starting a club, so they have access, can you imagine the damage possible by an entire club? Just something to think about.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 04:46 PM
RedSandDog

I can see how that might work for private land, like the issue TR had, but I think the issue with state and fed land is that we are already paying for it, and we are already paying people to monitor it (in the form of taxes and other land use charges, park admission fees, etc). I understand the problem you are trying to solve though.

I know that there are some parks that backpackers use where you have to tag everything you pack in, and then check it all off when you come back out (including, uh... "biological waste", if you know what I mean). That always seems a little extreme, but something will probably have to be done. We've all seen it. And the greenies can't tell the difference between a sweet Jeep with locked axles and good articulation who is a concientous trail runner, from some dumb ass tearing up his Thornbirds on the rocks and throwing Bud Light cans and McDonalds wrapers all over the place. All they see is a puddle of 90 weight and a shredded tire out on a trail, and they know some hiker didn't leave it.

There does need to be some kind of accountablity, but paying twice to use public land doesn't work for me.

Unfortunately I don't have a very good answer of how to get that kind of accountablity

'74 CJ-5
Send Money
...and a beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

You'll get those rednecks who think they have to get something more for their money, and they'll figure they can do as they want. This could mean more trash, or vandalism, and imagine a bunch of yahoos starting a club, so they have access, can you imagine the damage possible by an entire club? Just something to think about.

<hr></blockquote>

With that in mind: At last count there is maybe 5 or 6 clubs on the island here. I would hazard to quess that it's about 50/50 of clubs that are responsible and ones that are not. Our club is the largest, and the most active in clean-ups, fighting land closers, and giving back to the community. On the other hand there are clubs that allow drinking on the trail and see no problem with mowing down trees etc. etc.

So IMO, JEEPN makes a very valid point there......unfortunetly![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You all have good points. I did not think about the rednecks that will think they are owed something.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

How about making it so that every time you go to the rifle range you have to be a member, and make it manditory that you lock up your guns when not in use? Or every time you go camping, you have to be a member, and pay at the gate? Or every time you go fishing?

I'm not flaming here, but I want to bring out the point that you have a constitutional right to enter and use public lands. Article one, section 8, paragraph 16, says that the government connot own land except for military arsenals, and needful buildings. The states own the national forests and b.l.m. lands, not the government! The government does not have the right to collect usage fees on lands that they don't own! The equal footing docterine makes it so the other 49 states cannot tell Nevada what to do with 70% of their land. This is not Soviet Russia, and my membership dues are already paid for in taxes!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:55 PM

Uh ... Did anyone tell that to the government?

Rockcrusher
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:59 PM

That makes sense that the government can't take money for land that they don't own. What if there were money involved but all money after expences be put to good use instead of the money going to the gov., sorta like a non-profit setup?.

Chad
http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 09:08 AM

I'm not sure about that.
It's been my experience that if you have to pay for something, the inbred redneck trailer trash goes somewhere else...
We discussed charging say, $5 or $10 a day to wheel and hang out.
Even $10 is cheap to climb around on boulders, hill climb, do sand trails and forrest trails, plus fishing and picnic areas.
That makes us commercial though, and the insurance skyrockets on commercial ventures like this...

The state or fed could get away with it, cause they have unlimited deep pockets, but us poor private citizens will take a beating on insurance and taxes....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode