Which HEI to get - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Which HEI to get

I want to get an HEI upgrade. I have a 1987 YJ with the stock 258 inline 6 and a rebuilt carter carb. Which HEI should I get, someone suggested to get one with an adjustable vacuum advance. It comes with lifetime warranty plugs too, for a total of $150 plus $10 shipping. Is that a good price and any suggestions on a different type to get. I'm not really sure how it works and all, since I am new to Jeeps and playing around with cars. Thanks for your help and bearing with me in my time of ignorance. Donny G.

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 01:58 PM

Re: Which HEI to get

Do this instead and you don't even have to pull you distributer.

http://www.trailhed.com/duraspark upgrade.html

'79 CJ-7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

there was a company in Cape Cod mass selling brand new HEI's with a warranty for around that much $$. I dont have the URL, but if anyone finds it please FWD it to me: [email protected]

thanks

Boston Mangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 02:39 PM

Here ya go Kev,

http://www.driveajeep.com

They are also now selling a pre-packaged TFI upgrade for $119.

'79 CJ-7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

If i could only afford to do one (either HEI or TFI) which should I do now? Eventually I'll probably do both. Also, looks like they are selling the one I need for $159 and that does not include the spark plug wires, which are another $25-$30.

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 03:15 PM

You don't need to do both. I would go with the TFI upgrade. But probably wouldn't buy that kit. I'm sure you can do it much cheaper than $119 if you just went to a parts store and bought the parts off the shelf. You do not need to replace your current distributor to do this.
Read the instructions on that other link I posted. It has everything you need to know including part numbers. Its very easy to do. If you could do the HEI swap you can definately do this one.
Also, just do a search on this BBS for "TeamRush" upgrade and you will find even more info.

'79 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 03:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er.....donny.., my moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] here in the office wants me to tell you that the TFI conversion IS HEI. HEI stands for High Energy Ignition, and the TFI coil is just what that is. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Ford went with the TFI and GM went to a coil-in-cap high energy distributor. The energy to the plugs is the same, but there are a few advantages to not having a coil-in-cap setup, not the least of which is that you can use your existing distributor.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So take your early responder's advice and convert to the TFI setup, also known as the TeamRush upgrade.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 06:09 PM

I ordered the HEI kit from Glen at driveajeep.com. I'm very happy with it! But, I also got rid of the Carter and the computer. That may make a difference...

'86 CJ-7, 258, T-176, Dana 44 w/TrueTrac, 4:11s, Weber, HEI, Borla header, Warn HS9500i
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 01:59 AM
Gibby

I did the HEI swap on my (now sold) '74 CJ5 and it was definitely an improvement over the points.
That said, I hated having to grind my block to fit the huge cap and clamps in there.

Gibby

"If you trade a little freedom for a little security, soon you will have neither."
--Ben Franklin
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 08:58 AM

HEI is a reasonable CONVERSION for points to electronic ignition.
The GM HEI is better than point.

If you jeep was built between '78 and '90, you already have a better ignition than the GM HEI.
You just need to upgrade the cap, rotor, plug wires, and ignition coil for real performance.

If you have an older 258 I-6 jeep, you can UPGRADE, (not convert) to the newer Motorcraft/ DuraSpark ignition used on the '78 to '90 jeeps real cheep, instead of using the GM HEI.
The Motorcraft/ DuraSpark ignition is a much better choice than the GM HEI.

Here is the article 'How To' do just that....

---------------------------------------

For 258 I-6, '78 to '90

CAP BASE OR CAP ADAPTOR,
The cap adaptor is the bottom half of a two piece distributor cap arrangement that Ford has been using for over 20 years with great success.
The cap adaptor raises the distributor cap up away from the distributor housing, making it harder for the spark energy created by the ignition coil to go to ground and cause an ignition misfire.
Cap Adaptor.
82 Ford F-150 Pickup, with 300 CID I-6, about $5.
Wells (Auto Zone and others) P/N F-960
GP Sorensen (Advanced Auto and others) P/N FR-109
Delco P/N F-334

Make sure it's the screw down type, and not the quick clip type.
(Adaptors are attached with screws or quick clips, All the distributor caps are quick clip)
--------------------------------

CAP & ROTOR,
Wider cap spreads out the plug wire terminals. This extra spacing helps prevent cross fires of ignition energy. Brass terminals also conduct electricity much better than cheap aluminum terminal caps. These updated caps have spark plug type terminals and use late model high energy plug wires.
The taller rotor keeps the spark energy from jumping to ground through the distributor shaft, or to the distributor housing.
Cap & Rotor,
Premium, brass terminals, For 84 Ford F-150 Pickup, with 300 CID I-6, about $15.
(Auto Zone) Conrad P/N F-2104-G
(Advanced Auto) Standard Blue Streak P/N KCR-202X

PLUG WIRES,
Changing to high energy style plug wires is mandatory when you upgrade the distributor cap. Late model plug wires will deliver more of the spark energy to the spark plug, and have better insulation, and terminal ends than the out dated stock type spark plug wires.
Spark Plug Wires,
Premium store brand, For 84 Ford F-150 Pickup, with 300 CID I-6 WITH E.E.C. for the correct coil wire for the E-core (TFI) coil (spark plug boots on both ends of the coil wire for the E-core 'TFI' style coil),
Without E.E.C. for the correct coil wire for the factory stock can coil, $20 to $50.
Look for spiral core wires if you can find them.
Stay away from solid core wires.
---------------------------------

COIL,
The E-core (TFI) style ignition coil is a terrific upgrade to any stock DuraSpark ignition.
It nearly doubles useable spark energy over canister type coils, and has the much more desirable spark plug type terminal.
It's a direct replacement for the canister coil on Jeeps '78 to '90.
COILS.
For 84 Ford F-150 Pickup, with 300 CID I-6 WITH E.E.C. for the TFI COIL.
(Advanced Auto) GP Sorensen P/N GC-407 S, about $45. Premium Recommended.
(Advanced Auto) GP Sorensen P/N GC-407, about $15. Economy.
(MSD) TFI Premium Coil, P/N 8227, $45.
(NAPA) TFI Premium Coil, P/N IC24, $48.

For 84 Ford F-150 Pickup, with 300 CID I-6 Without E.E.C., CAN COIL
(MSD) Ford Round 'Can' Premium Coil, P/N 8205, $33.

COIL CONNECTORS.
If you change from a canister coil to a E-core (TFI) style coil, you will need to change the coil connector.
Coil Connectors,
(NAPA) TFI Coil Connector, P/N ICC1, $13.
(Standard Ignition) Motorcraft TFI Coil Connector, P/N S-539 $11.

(NAPA) Ford Round Coil 'Horse Shoe' Connector, P/N ICA102, $8.50.
(Standard Ignition) Motorcraft 'Can' Coil Connector, P/N S-583, $5.
---------------------------------

MODULE.
You DO NOT have to replace the module on the DuraSpark ignition system, it will power the system adequately in most low RPM, stock configuration situations.

If you decide to enhance your ignition system, the most cost effective upgrade you can make it adding a MSD 6 series module.
MSD increases all useable spark energy levels 100 to 1,000 %, and for the basic 6 series module can be had for around $135.

Module,
MSD 6A, most basic module that provides real Capacitive Discharge and Multiple Spark Discharge. Around $135.
MSD 6T, MSD 6AL, up to $175.
MSD Off Road, Up to $250.
----------------------------------

All items listed are very easy to install, and everything except the E-core coil and MSD module require NO MODIFICATION at all.
They are all direct replacement parts for tune up parts you have to change anyway.

See Attachment.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-198423-Cap&RotorComp.jpg (19.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode