Axle swap questions. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle swap questions.

I will be swapping 351W with a T18 and Dana 20 in my 82 CJ7. I would like to run 35in tires but I don't think the stock amc 20 and dana 30 would hold up. I would like to swap in a dana 60 rear and dana 44 front. I have a few questions about this. 1- What vehicles can I find these on with the cj bolt pattern? 2- Will 15in wheels fit over the brakes? 3- How much wider are these than my widetrack axles?
4-How far will I have to move the spring perches? 5- How much should I look to pay for these axles? 6- Is there anything else I should look for in theses axles(seals, gaskets, etc..)?

Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Axle swap questions.

Unless you have somebody like dynatrac make the 60 rear you will have great difficulty finding one with a CJ bolt pattern. There might be a Dana 60 semi floating but I'm really not sure. I just swapped in full width Dana 44 front and 14 bolt FF rear. To get the 15" rims over the front calapers on the 8 lug 44 front I needed to grind them down. As for the 13" drums out back the 15" rims fit just fine. I had to move my front perches out naerly 3 inches and I moved the mounts on the rear axle in about the same. The axles will be 10-12 inches wider than wide track depending what you get them from. With tires and 4 1/4" backspcaing on 10" rims my width outside tire to outside tire is just over 82". Blackcj (Keith) is finishing a similar swap but his axles are off a J truck and slightly narrower than my Dodge/Chevy axles, but his backspacing is less. He paid a couple hundred for both axles but needed to do ring and pinion and brakes. I got the front for $400 and the rear for $350 and rebuilt the brakes myself and didn't need R and P work. I would recomend rebuilding the brakes and checking the seals before putting the axles in. It is a fairly easy swap if you can weld (or know a good welder). The steering was tougher on mine than Keith's bc of the difference in tierods. The brake lines are semi custom and I needed new driveshaft bc of my new NV4500 and 350. If you have any questions let me know.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

search search search.. we probably talk about swapping axles more than any other topic on this forum... search axles

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Moving the front spring perches is easy, I did a writeup on it if you're interested.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

Tim - Do you have any pictures of your CJ7 with the full width axles? Would be really interested in seeing some

Some of the early Jeep J-series trucks had a Dana 60 rear with a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, except then its a full width truck axle. The best truck axles had 35 spline axle shafts also.

Luke
'77 CJ7 SOA Chevy 327 NV4500

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks I really appreciate the info!

Kevin

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 03:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a couple pictures but none online. I want to get some pictures of it wheeling in the next couple weeks and hopefully will have them to post. I'm also working on some 11" wide flares to make it almost street legal.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my sugguestion is go out and find a junk scout or wagoneer cheep. get the whole thing. i have bougt a scout for $250 and a buddy bought a wagoneer for $275 so they are out there. what i do is go out and drive around the country and look. you will see all sorts of stuff behind barns, in the weeds, in back yards, etc. this is where you find your best deals. heck i have my eye on 2 scouts and 1 early bronco right now. anyway get one of these yank the axles and put the rest up for sale. i've done this and gotten more than i paid for the whole thing. another good reason is you'll have all the u-bolts, plates, etc. that you'll need. just my op. by the way make sure if you get a scout make sure it has a dana 44 front earlier years didn't.

i'm glad to see that you have decided to go with the t-18!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 06:15 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I bought 3.5 flatties that way for $400 once. How do you get rid of the Scouts once the axles are removed?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i have done this to two. the first one i bought for $500 and drove it home. i stole the axles and sold the rear for $300. the second one was for $250 and split the price with a guy with a scout. it all worked out pretty well. i have learned while building jeeps is the best way to do it cheep is to buy and sell. if you need a part see if you can find a jeep cheep to steel the part from and then sell the rest.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode