Offroad Algebra.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Offroad Algebra....

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Let X= the number of good off-road places to wheel in 1995. Let Y= the number of irresponsible people who own FWD vehicles. Let Z= the number of times that major destruction has taken place in cornfields, newly sown alfalfa fields, orchards, and vegetable crops.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Man, I just read TR's thread about the land closure, and I have to say that it is just typical of what is happening all over the country. People take FWDs and go for that one last hurrah, KNOWING that the result will be land closure, but they don't care about anything but the moment. Thankfully there have been lots of instances where they broke down or got stuck and were still there when the landowner discovered it. In a few cases the landowner was kind enough to help them get back out on the road, using a big loader to barrel-roll the FWD sideways all the way to hard ground. Farmer: "Oh, here, Sonny; I'll help you get out of this soft dirt! Just pass this chain through the windows of the cab and I'll get my D8 dozer and pull real gentle-like."[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:19 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Offroad Algebra....

So where's the equation?

If I'm reading this right, Y/X = Z

Therefore, as the number of good off-road places to wheel increases at a faster rate than the idiots, The destruction as a whole will decrease.

However, if the decent places to wheel increase slowly, and the idiots increase at a higher rate, destruction will approach infinity.

If we flip the equation so that:

Y/Z = X

As the amount of destruction increases, the decent places to wheel head towards zero, and,

As the idiots multiply, we have less decent places to wheel.

I like it, it fits!

I love math...

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You got it, Jeep "N"....go to the head of the class....er..I mean trail.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

this function is undefined at zero. or we risk that dreaded "zero paradox". wich in this case would result in an infinite number of idiots sitting in their SUVs in the dealers show room because there is no room left in the universe to fit even just one more idiot or SUV.
Oh one more thing, whats that about the line thats tangent to the curve of the funtion? thats acceleration right? as we approach that nasty zero again our whole universe is going to change in an instant thats so quick we will feel like bugs hitting the windshield, ( last thing to pass through the bugs mind? his @sshole).

more gloom and doom, why cant we all just get along? jjc

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:06 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Oh come on, as a student of the sciences, surely you understand there is no such thing as "zero".

I'll have to rewrite the equation tonight and include the variables for honest and decent 4 wheelers, and those land owners that allow some use of their land to those decent 4 wheelers (vs. the all or nothing approach). Then there's factoring in the sum that are caught and those that repent and become decent 4 wheelers. Anyone know how to solve for a 12 x 12 matrices? It's been awhile. Maybe I'll bone back up on the Differential Equations and see what arises there. Then again, maybe I'll leave the whole damn thing alone and go have a beer.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I'm reading along on Jeep "N"'s last post, and my mind is struggling to keep up with the technical math, and then I read the last sentence.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Man! Laffing that hard is DANGEROUS![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All of this gnashing of teeth over a simple zero problem? What algebra can't handle, calculus makes a breeze. Go back to your first year calculus textbook (or go get one), and read up on L'Hopital's Rule. As you approach zero, things don't really go crazy. There is a solution for every problem, even if there is a zero in the equation.

Just thought you would like to know.

George

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 02:20 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Math is not my forte, so someone could try to work things like this in...

Just a few years back I was the president of the local 4wd club. Being such, I was often called upon by friends and aquaintances who tended to get themselves into rather infortunate off road situations. Many of them were forced to endure my preaching during the whole recovery process. My hopes were that maybe just a thought or two would be sparked in their little heads about responsible 4 wheeling, tresspassing, etc.

In one area where I often found myself getting people out of situations, I would sometimes meet the "weeekend" SUV type checking out a "rough road" or two... I always tried to stop, see if they were interested in a club or organized activities, and left them a business card...

Sadly, besides most of us here, I don't think too many other people take a similar approach...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

So my request would be for someone to try to figure in the good of the few (us)in changing the ill intent of the many ("them")... It seems off hand that these numbers would be rather desparaging, but we can only hope for the best and keep trying, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode