roll cages - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

roll cages

It seems most of you design your own roll cages,is there a reason for this?I've tried to find a kit from the racecar guys(art Morrison,ect.)with no luck.Any suggestions?I have access to a tig welder,fishmouth tool,ect.,but how do you bend the pipes to conform to dash?I've seen street rods with the side bar hinged to allow easier entry(my buddy says no way!but he just likes to laugh at my fat [email protected]# trying to get in and out)is this a no no?My buddy has built several chassis cars,and will do all the real work,but rather than just hand it to him,i'd like to learn the ins and outs(and not appear totaly stuip!)
Matt

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: roll cages

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The reality, Matt, is that there doesn't seem to be any one-design-does-it-all ROPS [Roll Over Protection System] that is available as aftermarket. Everybody wants something a little different. Yesterday it occurred to me that I could build a cantilevered setup and not sacrifice the dashboard area. I noticed a power roller on a paving job that was built that way, and I am really thinking about doing that. The bending will have to be done by an ace bender-guy, but if I choose tube that is the same O.D. as say...2-1/2" or 3" standard pipe, I know a lot of industrial electricians who can bend with great precision. The other thing I could do is use SQUARE tubing; and forget the difficulty of making precision bends. Square tube is stronger, pound for pound, and that is exactly what the heavy equipment companies use. A setup like that COULD be aftermarketed, because it would mount nearly the same as the stock CJ bar does.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i've often wondered why square tubing is not used.
dave, you say that it is stronger # for #. what might the downfalls be?

harder to bend?
weaker joints (no fishmouths, just square-ups)?
heavier?
more expensive?

anyone?

tj
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] "it was a '76, '77, '78, '79...'83 automobile!" (johnny cash)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, the obvious reason would be if you were to knock your head on it. The corner would deliver the full force of impact to a small area of bone. Granted, a round tube isn't much better. But, it would make the difference between a goose-egg and a cracked skull.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dave, is this somewhat what you're talking about as far as a "halo" design? using something like 3 inch tubing> granted, not as cool as 304's designs, but you get the picture.

tj
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] "it was a '76, '77, '78, '79...'83 automobile!" (johnny cash)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

damn! forgot to attach.....

tj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-197804-rollbar.jpg (27.8 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Ok Maybe this is a stupid question but, what exactally is a fishmouth tool? I think I pretty much know what it does(not all that dumb).But how does it work? Where do you get one? And for how much $$.Thanks.Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-18/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 01:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yep....that's it, except you IMPROVED IT with the lower horizontals.....I hadn't thought of that.....nice shot![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 01:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It must be some sort of cutter or maybe a pattern that is used to mark the pipe so you can fit up a nice "T" joint. I have patterns which I can only use for the little stuff.....under 4"..... whereas cool, welder-fitter guys like me mark the large diameters with a contour marker, a crab, a center head, and a snapline.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] So often you are going with different diameters, so patterns won't work. If you can do it from scratch, the difference in diameters on branching tees and the less-than-90-degree angles are no problemo.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Hey.....do I BRAG...or what? I hope Jo-Jo isn't reading this[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 01:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Can you make a separate post with this attachment? Maybe title it the "NEW" ROPS. [Roll Over Protection System] Show that setup. Make a note that the lower horizontals punch through the floor and connect to the CJ frame mounts just above the rubber buscuit. This design really has some merit, especially now with the lower horizontals.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]You can call this the "C" cab design...first because it resembles the early Ford (model T era) open cab trucks, and second because it is a "cantilevered design".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode