Electrical problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electrical problem

Just finished recessing the tail lights on my TJ. Have moved the license plate to the center of the tail gate, installed a license plate light, and everything works EXCEPT:

When I step on the brakes, one of the tail lights is pretty dim. All the filiments that are supposed to light up do - just dim. I put a ground on the other tail light (the light itself is plastic, and the remounting process disingaged all the body bolts that went through the interrior metal). Do I need to ground both lights? I know that they have a common ground - the one I installed - but is that sufficient for both lights??

My swing up tire carrier is being welded together. May have some pics in the next day or so. I think it is going to work fine.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 11:47 PM

Re: Electrical problem

I know that the two lights share a common ground, but it may not have a good enough connection. as well, ensure that you don't have a wire crossed (i.e. lighting the tail light filiment when you step on the brakes.)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think there is a cross wiring problem. All I did was unbolt the entire light, cut out the body and recess the light. Only got into one light's wiring (the bright one) to splice a hot wire into the new license plate lite. It is self grounding too and is bright enough. Did not get into any of the wires for grounding as both tail lights are self grounding. I removed the self grounding aspect of them by mounting the way I did, so I ran a ground wire from the inside metal housing to the frame on one light only.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:08 AM

sounds like it would deffinately be a ground prob then. try grounding the other one better(could even take a jumper wire directly to the batt. if the light is brighter then it's deffinately a bad ground. out of curiosity, how many wires go into the tail-light assy on a 97? 3 or 4?
if i am thinking correctly the taillights use the mounting bolts of the assy for their ground, if you have recessed the entire assy, so that these bolts are not grounded, then you are forcing the brake/tail lights to attempt to ground back through themselves so to speak.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you've hit it. Ground. There are 3 wires, all hot and a separate wire to the backup light, also hot. I am pretty sure that I need to ground the dim side better. Will do that today.
Thanks.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode