1987 XJ tranny to YJ options? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1987 XJ tranny to YJ options?

Okay here goes...last time I'm posting on this topic....I hope. =)

I've been searching high and low for a trannsmission replacement for my 1987 Wrangler, 4.2 liter, currently has a 5 speed tranny. Cheapest I've found one is for $800 without labor!

Here are my questions, please help if possible....

Can I swap a tranny into my YJ from a cherokee from the same year? The cherokee would be a 4wd, 4.2 liter as well. I have the following options. An automatic for $330, a 4 speed MT for $500, and a 5 speed MT for $1100! I can't believe the prices on the five speeds. Anyhow....will all these trannies be a direct swap, and will they match my transfer case? I'm steering toward the 4 speed, so I guess I will ask, is the 4 speed in a cherokee a hydraulic clutch? I ran into that problem because I was going to swap in a t4, but my mechanic wouldn't do it, because it was a cable clutch.

Any help and answers will be greatly appreciated. if the auto will work, I can do that myself as I've swapped in autos before, I'm just leary of putting an auto into a vehicle that has a standard. Clutch peddles and all. Besides, standards are a lot more fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1987 XJ tranny to YJ options?

All XJs, '87 and newer use the 4.0L, not the 4.2. The 4.0l XJ trans fits the 4.2L, but the rear extension housing has different clocking for the t-case. The Automatic trans from an XJ 4.0 is a AW-4 overdrive that would require extensive rewireing and swapping the EFI off the 4.0 to work. There never was a 4.0XJ or a 4.2YJ with a 4 speed from the factory. The XJ has the same poo-geot BA10-5 as the YJ, with the exception of the extension housing. There is no advantage to this swap.

Your best bet would be to find a AX15 out of a '91 YJ, and the t-case to go with it. The 231 t-case has better internals than the 207 most '87s have, and the AX 15 is stronger than the BA10-5. The option for an automatic is either a 999 out of a YJ, CJ or Eagle car, or a 727 out of a Wagoneer. Either will require a shifter and a change of input gears in the t-case.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode