OT-The people you wanna be like - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT-The people you wanna be like

I've been away for a few days. After reading all the posts, I started pondering the flaming...the jealousy...the ill-will. What it all led me to is a little parable. Now, I marked this as being OT, and if it pis#@# you off, sorry. You see, there are certain people in life that I wanna be like. One of those people is the guy who previously owned the Mack truck I drive in the summer for our farm. You know, the big 500hp v-8 turbodiesel powered Mack I talk about from time to time. Anyhow, he knows that mack from bumper to taillights...He knows every bit of the truck, every part of driving, trucking, spreading, gravel hauling, and he raised 8 children. He knows a lot about fixing everything, driving everything, welding, improving, wiring, and a lot of other things. He's over 65 now, but still is 6'5", 250#'s, and solid as a brick shi$house. He's kind of one of those fatherly figures...he gives me advice, without all of the baggage associated with advice from my own dad. He can correct me, assist me, and teach me...moreover, he's not too proud to learn from me, or to listen to my ideas. I really appreciate every moment I get to spend with this man. He's very special to me--few people are lucky enough to have someone around them to be this sort of mentor. What I really appreciate about this board is that it allows me to have even more mentors, albeit electronic ones. Yeah, someday, perhaps, I'll get to meet these electronic mentors. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy their posts, learn from their knowledge, and try to bite my tongue when they get flamed. You see, I don't agree with everything that my trucker friend says...he was raised in a different, less-tolerant time than I. But I still listen, absorb, and don't feel a need to criticize him. I learn a lot from him...and from time to time, he learns from me. That's what our relationship is about. That's why I stay on this bbs. I do way more reading than posting, and that's the way it will be for some time. I'd like to take this moment to thank those who have shared their knowledge with me. When I use the knowledge that they've imparted in me, I smile. I hope that they feel their expenditure of time is worthwhile. It certainly is for me. Thanks fellows. And if there is ever anything I can do for you all, I'd be honored.

P.S. Jeepskate--I'm trying to free up some time.

P.P.S. Thanks again, jeep and other gods.

The jeep is up and runnin...damn...work work fix..the jeep is...damn...work work fix...the jee...damn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 08:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT-The people you wanna be like

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Gee, FJ......it's hard to think of an appropriate response to something that speaks as well as that post does. 'sniff'...even my little moonguys on the swing shift are misty-eyed.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 10:44 PM

No problem FarmJeep, I appreciate you agreeing to help. We're having our annual block party this weekend, so don't worry about trying to do anything in the next few days...heck, stop on down Saturday and join us for the pig roast. My buddy Stu came by today and we wired up the temporary 220 line...I put in a 50 amp receptacle since I figured it was the most likely candidate, but I did buy a 30 amp as well and it's a fairly quick swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 07:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well said farmjeep.. very well said..
i have the same relationship with my grandfather.. since i had no father.. he was selected.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].. the man is 78 years old.. was a mechanic for 50+ years.. and at his present age.. and health.. he still rises at 6am.. does his daily chores.. be it.. cutting and splitting up to 200 cord of wood for his winter heating.. taking care of his camp.. fishing... riding his polaris indy 650.. or the four wheeler.. deer hunting.. keeping his and his daughters places up.. fixing his vehicles.. and helping this marine when he drives his jeep 12 hours home and always seems to break on the way.. even with seeing friends and family, fixing the jeep or whatever i drive home, doing chores for mother.. i always find a good amount of time to tip a beer with the man and shoot the bull for a few hours.. then before leaving.. give him a good sturdy hand shake and a slap on the back.. say a thankyou and an i love you..

so to you farm.. i tip this beer and say a thank you.. glad i could be of service..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode