pretty paint jobs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

pretty paint jobs

2 years ago i painted my jeep white with frost blue pearl... i even bought a new fiberglass hood because my other hood had hit the windshield frame and the gelcoat was shattered. I also put a full 7 coats of clear over it. a couple months later, i tore the front dana 30 completely apart out wheeling and sent a tire through one of the fiberglass fenders... but it (miraculously) only left a small crack in the fender. scratches were appearing in some places where i got REALLY stuck in mud about 4 feet deep, and had to crawl across the hood to get to the winch..and taking the body off one frame and putting it on another didn;t do it any good...now i have rock rash in the bottom of the fiberglass tub, my boggers ate away an inch of my fenders so i bobbed them, and the hood hit the windshield again..but it didn't shatter this time...my hood also has the marks on it from resting on the frame..like all jeeps should..
my point is... skip the pretty paint job.....................

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: pretty paint jobs

I agree. My friends in the jeep club laugh at me because I painted my jeep military tan by hand with a paint brush. I guess they don't like the textured look. For me it does the job. I love it when they scratch their rigs. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I just know it is going to get bumped, scratched and banged. So why bother?

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:28 PM

Next weekend I'm painting my CJ with hammerite and a roller. I'm pretty excited about having the entire body the same color....

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:52 PM
cj7jeep

Chris let us know how it comes out. I was going to do my Jeep body in Durabak, but the color chip i received did not do well out in the sun. I think i will also go with Hammerite.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Everybody around here laughs at me for rattle cannin it. The way I see it for under $50 I can change colors whenever I want and who cares if I scratch it.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:54 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Same here, can't beat that rustoleum white spray paint. It actually looks pretty good, and after a day of wheeling, I just bust out the spray can.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://dreamwater.com/ironpines/
http://www.hagars4wd.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i totallly agree. i will admit i like a good looking jeep as much as the next guy but if you wheel it like i do it isn't worth it. i painted my jeep a few years ago but i had a hook up with a paint booth and got some paint free all i had to do was body work and my buddy sprayed it. i only had $300 in it and it looked really good. my first trip out was in ky and hit my wsheil frame, second time out i waet to tellico and went up helicopter pad and if anyone has been there knows about the rock coming out of the wall. i don't like to get body damage however i'm not going to let it get in the way of my fun. now i have dents and scratches and i can pretty much tell you if i don't get anything then i usually didn't have any fun. paint is not worth it. buy some rattle cans and fog away. if you take your time and know what you are doing you can make a decent looking paint job with spray paint. flat and semi gloss usually turn out better than gloss because they don't show as many flaws. anyway save all that money for stuff like lockers, tires, axles, spare parts. things that you can use not look at.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey elusive i remember the night you broke the knuckle off of that dana 30! what a fiasco that was.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:24 PM
Old Hand

When I bought my CJ in March of 95 it had 83,000 miles and was absolutely perfect.

Here it is on the 4th of July 2000, its been rolled twice, has flat fenders, and the only straight piece on it is the tailgate. I enjoy it so much more now; dents become meaningless when they are on top of older dents.

WildCJ5

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 09:34 PM
mudracer

Mine has a layer of steel diamond plate on the sides and rear corners and is painted olive drab. It's ugly and I like it that way. Why spend money on nice paint and chrome to take it out and beat it? I have my pretty truck for racing, but I like the Jeep better cause it's tougher and there are no worries. For me, the body and cage are actually functional sliding surfaces that I use for getting by trees and rocks.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 trail machine
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode