OT Forest Fires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT Forest Fires

Just curious who and how far the smoke from the huge forest fires in Montana and Idaho are reaching?

It's very smokey here today, you'd think the fires were a couple miles away and they are about 200-400 miles to the west and southwest of us!

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT Forest Fires

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Er.....we have our very own fire down here in N. CA, so it's a little hard to tell. Yep, we got one that's getting bigger by the day.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The worst part is all of the land closures. You would think it was an enviro-wacko plot. LOL

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:46 PM

Being in NC, the smoke hasn't reached here. I would not call it an off topic post. These fires are going to effect the way all of us get to enjoy the outdoors. Unless the smart people in the Forest service, not the administrators of the FS, but the actual Rangers, the men and women that work in the forest everyday are allowed to manage the forests, are allowed to do what they know is right, everything will be gone. I have met many a Ranger that work in the forest. To a person they understand the need cut timber to and manage the Forests. I only met one FS adminstrator and he was idiot. An absolutely idiot when it came to understanding the dynamics of a forest.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MTJeeper, check out my post, "This Sign says it all". We've had our share of fires down this way, 3 of em at Mesa Verde alone, it was so bad here for about a weeka and a half thet you couldn't go outside without sneezzing and eyes watering.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:01 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Man, the eco's are getting hot and heavy up here, a large chunk of forest was sold off to a holding company, no more logging. They aren't even maintaining the road like they used to, so if anything goes up, it'll be a PITA. Then again, we have had a fair amount of water, so nothing's really dry. I feel for you guys out West.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Boise area smells like a camp fire. It makes me want to go camping, but where?! They are starting to close off camping areas around here too. The fire up by Salmon is probably the most damaging as far as camping/off-roading goes. Even the greenies in Ketchum are "concerned". They might just have to unstrap there dumba$$es from that tree they were trying to save so that they can get their own chain saw and cut it down to rebuild the log cabin that they just lost in the fire. Big time hypocrits [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] up there. They fight to close down trails/roads to motorized vehicles so that they can doze their way into a nice building site for their new cabin, complete with a driveway for their yuppy SUV. Last time I was up outside of Ketchum camping, I took my family out riding (no place to Jeep [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]), we passed a MB SUV that was crossing a stream that the Forest Service road passes through. Probably the closest thing to mud that they've ever been in. I still waved out of courtesy, but they didn't return the favor (big surprise [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]). I thought about roosting on them, but I figured that they didn't need to go running to their other greeny buddies with more ammo to get that road closed. Sorry for rambling, but some of this stuff that the FS/BLM does just makes me sick! Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90(SM420 soon)/d18, 27(44 soon)/44, lift (suggestions?), 32's on order, cage.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 03:47 PM
Addict

In Helena this afternoon, the visibility is about 1/4 mile. The smoke is incredibly thick.

The entire Western half of the state is basically closed down. You can go to the state's web site if you'd like to see more info...

http://www.state.mt.us

This is is getting old [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode