How to patent something? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

How to patent something?

Has anyone patented anything? Doug? I have three ideas in the works now and am looking to patent them, I know a search has to be done so no replicates are patented, but how does one do this? Any help would be great.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How to patent something?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It has been about 35 years since I last messed with patents, but as I recall, first I did a search for what they refer to as "Prior Art". and then the actual idea is drawn up in the style that all patents seem to use; then the disclosure is made up and the patentable items are listed if it is a "system". There are regular patent outfits around, but BE CAREFUL or your design will be stolen. I worked for a huge corporation and folks sent in their ideas all the time. We had a regular "disclosure process" that we went through that protected us AND them when the guy spilled his secret. I could tell you stories.........[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]**** Actually, Jeep "N"...I'm working on two patents right now so I will have to address these very concerns sometime in the next year. One is actually going to be covered by a copyright, however, not a patent.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

What's the difference?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You copyright a name, or a song, or a graphic, whereas a patent is usually a process or a machine. That's by no means a complete list, just an example. For example, if you invent a tracked machine that pulls a plow, you could patent quite a bit of stuff on the machine itself that was unique, and then you would copyright the name Bungacrap, or Modotrac, or whathaveyou.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]VERY often, the item HAS a combination of both copyright AND patent.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>Get about 12-15k for attorneys' fees, too. My idea was quelched because of the excessive cost. Search on the net... there are some links that TRY to explain it...

Patents are almost impossible to protect now a days... if someone else makes ONE minor change to a design, you are not protected. Therefore, you have to patent 15 different ideas, to make one product... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

I have heard it costs a lot of money. I'll do some searches and see what I can come up with. Too bad, some of the stuff I have ideas for is safety equipment for OHV'ers.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Don't dismiss the possibility of simply selling the idea to a company who makes off highway stuff. Sometimes that is a good way to make the dough without the hassle of marketing and safety testing, etc.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Mark......check your regular e-mail!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I looked onto patenting something that I invented and having had no experiance in the process just gave up on it and keep my idea to my self because if you have to pay a laywer to do the patent for you it will cost you a small fortune.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Thanks Dave. Not a bad idea. It'd be a shame to not make this product I've been working on for about a year now. I'm not sure it'd sell a ton based on it's limited audience, but if it'd save one life it'd be worth it. I also had another "brainstorm" (or was it just "brainfog") the other day while doing some chores around the house. My younger brother is also working on something out in Oregon and he had asked me about it, he's not on the web.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode