GUN OWNERS BEWARE! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

GUN OWNERS BEWARE!

Well kitties it is time to get of your butts and contact your state reps and sentors. Here is some info. Picked up from another BBS I am on:

It seems that the ever so user friendly government we have is looking to make a few changes tp the internal revinue code of 1986. The new amendment is called the 'Handgun Safety and Registration Act of 2000.' Or Bill number SB-2099. You can goto http://www.senate.gov and do a search on the bill number to see for yourself. I think we need to make our voices heard on this matter as soon as possible. After all it is election time and I am sure there are ALOT of our reps. Supporting this crap and they don't want us to call them on it.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:30 PM
Gibby

Re: GUN OWNERS BEWARE!

This is an attempt to sneak in a few new gun laws without gun owners even knowing. I am posting the bill here.

To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to require the registration of handguns, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress
assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Handgun Safety and Registration Act of 2000'.

SEC. 2. REGISTRATION OF HANDGUNS.

(a) HANDGUN INCLUDED IN DEFINITION OF FIREARM-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (defining firearm) is amended by
striking `and (8) a destructive device' and inserting `(8) a handgun; and (9) a destructive device'.

(2) DEFINITION OF HANDGUN- Section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to definitions)
is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(n) HANDGUN-

`(1) IN GENERAL- The term `handgun' means any weapon (including a starter gun) which--

`(A) is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, and

`(B) has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

`(2) DISASSEMBLED PARTS INCLUDED- Such term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such
weapon, and any combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession
or under the control of a person.

`(3) EXCLUSION- Such term shall not include a firearm classified as `any other weapon' under subsection (e).'.

(b) TRANSFER TAX IMPOSED ON HANDGUNS- Section 5811(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating
to rate) is amended by inserting `or as a handgun under section 5845(a)(8)' after `section 5845(e)'.

(c) TAX ON MAKING FIREARMS IMPOSED ON HANDGUNS- Section 5821(a) of the Internal Revenue Code
of 1986 (relating to rate) is amended by inserting `, except, the tax on any firearm classified as a handgun under section
5845(a)(8) shall be at the rate of $50 for each such firearm made' after `firearm made'.

(d) IMPORTATION POLICY CONTINUED-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 5844 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to importation) is amended by
adding at the end the following: `This section shall not apply to any firearm classified as a handgun under section
5845(a)(8).'.

(2) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 925(d)(3) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by
inserting `(without regard to paragraph (8) thereof)' after `section 5845(a)'.

(e) SHARING OF REGISTRATION INFORMATION WITH STATE AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT
AGENCIES-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 6103(o) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to disclosure of returns and
return information with respect to certain taxes) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(3) TAXES IMPOSED ON TRANSFER OF HANDGUNS- Returns and return information with respect to
taxes imposed by part II of subchapter A of chapter 53 (relating to tax on transferring firearms) on any firearm
classified as a handgun under section 5845(a)(8) shall be available in an on-line format for inspection by or
disclosure to officers and employees of--

`(A) any Federal law enforcement agency, and

`(B) any State or local law enforcement agency,

whose official duties require such inspection or disclosure.'.

(2) CONFORMING AMENDMENTS- Section 6103(p)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is
amended--

(A) in the matter preceding subparagraph (A)--

(i) by striking `or (o)(1)' and inserting `(o)(1), or (o)(3)(A)',

(ii) by striking `or (l)(6)' and inserting `(l)(6)',

(iii) by inserting `or (o)(3)(B),' after `(16),', and

(B) in subparagraph (F)(i)--

(i) by striking `or (l)(6)' and inserting `(l)(6)', and

(ii) by inserting `or (o)(3)(B),' after `(16),', and

(C) in subparagraph (F)(ii), by striking `or (o)(1)' and inserting `, (o)(1), or (o)(3)(A)'.

(f) TRANSITION RULE FOR NONREGISTERED HANDGUNS-

(1) IN GENERAL- Any person possessing any firearm classified as a handgun under section 5845(a)(8) of the
Internal Revenue Code of 1986 not registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record
maintained by the Secretary of the Treasury under section 5841 of such Code shall register such handgun--

(A) within 1 year of the date of the enactment of this Act, or

(B) upon the transfer of such handgun before such 1 year anniversary date.

(2) TREATMENT OF REGISTRATION AS TRANSFER- For purposes of any tax imposed by part II of
subchapter A of chapter 53 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to tax on transferring firearms) on any
firearm classified as a handgun under section 5845(a)(8) of such Code, any registration of such handgun under
paragraph (1)(A) shall be considered a transfer of such handgun.

(3) NONAPPLICATION OF PENALTY- Section 5861(d) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 shall not
apply with respect to the possession of any handgun before the date of the registration of such handgun under
paragraph (1).

(g) PROVISION OF REGISTRATION FORMS-

(1) AVAILABILITY- To promote and assist compliance with the handgun registration requirements under the
Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended by this section, the Secretary of the Treasury shall make available
such registration and fingerprint forms as may be required by the public for compliance with such requirements--

(A) to State and local law enforcement agencies and facilities of the Department of the Treasury throughout
the States, the United States Postal Service, and such other agencies and departments of the Federal
Government as the Secretary determines would aid in making such forms available to the public; and

(B) through the Internet in a downloadable format.

(2) SINGLE FORM- The Secretary of the Treasury shall make available registration forms that allow an
individual to register the possession or transfer of more than 1 firearm classified as a handgun under section
5845(a)(8) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 on a single form.

(h) PROGRAM OF PUBLIC AWARENESS- Within 60 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary
of the Treasury shall commence a program to broaden public awareness of the handgun registration requirements under
the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended by this section. Such program may include voluntary cooperative
efforts with Federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies and public service announcements as deemed
appropriate by the Secretary.

(i) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as may be
necessary for the Secretary of the Treasury to carry out the provisions of and amendments made by this Act.

(j) EFFECTIVE DATE- The amendments made by this section shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

"If you trade a little freedom for a little security, soon you will have neither."
--Ben Franklin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] This is the typical "back door" tactic by the feds to GET THOSE LISTS no matter what! If they have a LIST....they have your guns. I FULLY EXPECT the scumbag to ink an executive order to establish national gun registration; before his ass is out of there; as a desperate means to leaving a legacy.....besides Monica's blue cum-stained dress, that is. DONATE HEAVILY TO NRA! FAX those scumbag congress democraps and threaten to work your ass off to defeat them.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Typical Democratic horse****.

You've gotta belong to NRA and contribute to GOA.

And never, ever, under any circumstances, vote for anyone who is not willing to declare themselves a friend of the Second Amendment.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.
</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have not read the fed machinegun registration law, mgs and sawed of shotguns and rifles, but I think SB-2099 will make registering handguns just the same as registering machineguns only $50 instead of $250, or $200 - whatever it is now.
Have already written to my two senators as well as putting this on local forums.
Thanks for the info.
Trying to slip this in as a "tax" - is there anything those people will NOT do???

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
http://www.CBrack.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Machineguns are a $200 reg fee. Have been since 1936 (I think) when the MG reg act was penned. Kind of a deal when you consider it against money from that long ago!
VOTE FOR ANYONE WHO IS PRO SECOND AMMENDMENT ! ,Even if they are against some other issue(s) you are for. Firearms are the cornerstone of our Freedom, and without our Freedom, nothing else matters!
Sorry for rambling.

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Educate me please.......

Just wondering if someone can give me the quick and skinny on this bill? I'm not very good at sifting through legal mumbo-jumbo.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

To me it seems like a regular ordinary tax like when you exchange vehicles etc. (don't know if you guys have to pay tax for that though). Which doesn't sound like a bad thing to me, other than the fact it's a tax and we all hate those.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Please leave the paranoid "UN wants to take over the world" stuff, the derogatory comments, and name calling at the door please (I think you do a whole lot better for your cause when you use proper names instead of insults)

Thanks![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 04:28 AM

WTF does all that mean. do they use Latin and not tell us? we need to kill all the lawyers and have everything written so 90% of every English speaking American can understand it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 08:45 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

What it looks to me like is yet another way to create a registry of who owns guns, what they own, and how many they own... That is the part I dont like [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 08:52 AM
I Do This For The Glory

This is the start. Remember, their agenda is somewhere down the road, this is only a step to achieve that goal. All it takes is one list, one tax, one anything and we're done. Once momentum starts, it's hard to stop it, so the key is not to even let it get rolling.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode