NP 205...is slip yolk normal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

NP 205...is slip yolk normal?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] How common is a slip yolk on the rear axle output of an NP205 transfer case? I'm thinking about doing something different to the driveline arrangement in our 3/4T GM. Right now it is one-piece with a slip yolk on the t-case.....worn and leaking of course.....and one HUGE driveline with no center hanger.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 03:17 PM

Re: NP 205...is slip yolk normal?

I have a little experience here. Every 205 I've seen behind a manual has had a fixed yoke. This is mostly 70-80's gm stuff I've seen. The one factory 1980 th400/205 setup I saw had a slip yoke on the transfer rear output. Also the military had CUCV's(early 80 gm pickups and blazers)-most of these had a th400/np208, but a few variants had the 205, and these all had slip yokes also. When I swapped my 203 for a 205 behind a th 400, I had to get a factory tranny output shaft, factory adapter plate, and a factory input gear for the transfer. This is a 32 spline male output on the tranny and a 32 spline female for the transfer with no spud shaft as some of the advance adapter setups use.
The new transfer input gear was for a 1 ton application (I was told) and required machining the transfer housing to accept the larger input bearing. This setup used a longer adapter (6" if I remember right) while the factory th400/203 used a 1" thick adapter plate. However, the 205 is shorter overall than the 203 and saved me 8" of drivetrain length, which cured my driveshaft angle problems. I used a 205 from a manual application, which uses a 10 spline male input originally, and a fixed rear yoke(which saves length over a slip yoke). Bottom line, the fixed yokes are more common in my experience. You may be able to swap the rear output housing and gears from one to the other, never tried it though. This is kinda long, hope it helps.

Greg 89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-3/4 ton axles-35 bfg, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 03:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

My guess on the year is early 80's? After 1979 (or was it '80?), the 205's went to the slip yoke you mentioned. They were used behind heavy vehicles exclusively, with the NP208 making its debut in the lighter ones. Is it a heavy 3/4 ton? My older brother bought a SM465/NP205 with the slip yoke out of an '83 1-ton, he's putting it in place of his SM465/NP208 setup he has now because he grenaded the NP208. All the NP205's in the later 60's and early 70's should have the fixed yoke. I've been wanting to find an early 80's one to look into the feasability of adapting two NP205's together, that would truly be bulletproof.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the info on the NP205. This is a VERY heavy 3/4T 1980 model GM with a 465 transmission. I think what I'll do is just push the yolk in farther to get back to the good spline contact, and then use a bolted-yolk to bolted-yolk hangar bearing with just enough angle to keep the u-joint needles turning, and then install a rear shaft that has a genuine on-angle spicer slip yolk. I have TONS of room under that 3/4T, and I was really surprised to see just one driveline, since all of the 2WD 3/4 tonners we had used TWO drivelines. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode