CASTER expert needed!! or atleast advice..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

CASTER expert needed!! or atleast advice.....

I'm through fighting with my front end. I am running a 4 1/2 skyjacker lift, and 1 1/2 lift shackles. I was already wrestling with the caster after I installed my shackle reversal. I thought I had if fixed, but my "fix" has turned out to not work. So now I'm going to grind the tubes off, and rotate the tubes. I have a buddy to help me that is used to doing the rear ends, so I'm not totally clueless. But I want to know ideally how are you supposed to set the caster? Are there special tools I should get? Should I check something before I tear the front end out? I basically, need to know what to do to make sure that I correct the pinion angle and the caster problem all at once.

Any imput is welcome. Please tune in again for more questions, I'm sure there are more to come.

Thanks in advance
Drew

....oh.... it's a D30 front end.

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CASTER expert needed!! or atleast advice.....

here is what i did with my scout dana 44. you'll need an angle finder,and a wooden dowl. first dissassemble your front end and i mean everything except the r&p and dif. pull axles knuckles and all.do this so that the jeep is on level ground and the jackstands are level and set to the aprox. hight as your jeep would normally sit. next grind the weld that attaches the knuckle to the axle tube. grind it all the way around until you can see a visible line where the knuckle and axle tube meet. this is some work but believe me you have to beable to see the ring all the way around. once that is done get a bfh and start beating the knuckle so that it will turn on the tube. this can be difficuly because they are pressed on so love taps won't work. once you have noticed that it has started to move stick the dowl throu the two holes where the ball joints go. pull the dowl to one side or the other and place the angle finder on the dowl. the angle finder will tell you how many degrees of caser it is at. i put 8 degrees of positive caster on my front end and it works great. i think i read a 4x4 should be between 5 and 8 degrees. maybe some of the other readers can give input on that but like i said 8 worked for me. i have done 2 front ends now and both turned out fine however on the second one i had one side that was a royal pain in the butt to move. i had to use a full sized sledge with repeditive blows to get it to move. when both sides are set you'll have to weld the knuckles back to the tube. the knuckles are cast so make sure you use the appropriate rod. hope this helps and if you have anymore q's just ask.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a bit about caster here: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/yj/ss/prep.asp

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 02:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey brian.. i remember that night when you were beating on that second one....
i found that if you firts beat the knuckle OFF an inch, it turns much easier..then pound it back on at the desired angle and weld it tight. mine is set at 6.5 degrees and it tracks very nice

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 03:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yes.. for the angle.. anything positive will work.. 5-8 degrees.. is great.. six is ideal on most axles..
you can run 0 degrees.. but it wouldnt work as well as 6 or a more positive degree..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ok.... I got it.... 5-8 positive degrees. But the other part of my question has to do with my spring perches/pinion angle. It's obvious that my shackle reversal wasn't meant to be used with 4 1/2 lift springs. The stock axle now creates an awful caster situation. So I'm assuming that I'll have to rotate the tubes to cure the pinion angle, but that I'm also going to have to "rotate" the spring perches to cure the caster situation. What is the best way to size this up? Should I put the axle into the jeep, line up the pinion, then guage the caster situation seperately? Or is there an easier way to go about this?

Thanks again.
Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 04:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you got i... remember that you MUST have weight on the axle if you want your measurements to be worth the time you put into them...the springs will collapse and change your pinion angle with weight. i aimed my pinion right at the output of the x-fer case, and used a cv driveshaft. works good, lasts long time...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 04:14 PM

Thats right- cut off your old perches, turn the axle so the pinion points where you want it, tack-weld new perches on and set the wieght of the Jeep on them and see where you are. Repeat as necessary until you get it right. THEN weld the new perches on and deal with the caster

Restoring a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 04:38 PM
I Do This For The Glory

So how does it work with the Scout D44? The perch on the passengers side is part of the pumpkin. Do you just grind it down flat again or go with a wedge?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am spoa so i was welding on new pads on top.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode