TR, CJ Dave, DRM...anyone else interested! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

TR, CJ Dave, DRM...anyone else interested!

I was wondering when you guys actually get any work done your Jeeps? I drop in fairly often with a little work in between
(welding a little on the tie in's tonight). You guys spend more time in here then I do (my fiance doesn't think so though!!)!!

Alec

Does your significant other give you sh!t about being on this BBS.

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20 dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights
'glass body tied in full cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:48 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TR, CJ Dave, DRM...anyone else interested!

I run this and 2 or 3 other BBS's in the background while I am at work. Contrary to some rumors, I do get plenty of work done (it is all about multi-tasking)...

At home I work on my web sites (club, personal, and paid) and surf BBS's... I am pretty much online or not far away from the computer from about 6 am to midnight every day... it relaxes me, and I get to interact with other wheelers - some good, some bad...

My Toy is pretty much built as much as I can right now - the last 5 years have seen to that[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The Jeep was just recently acquired (haven't had a Jeep in over a year), and I am still not sure what body and frame I will use so I don't want to go wrenching on it in vain just yet...

But I do go wheeling - check out my web site and see for yourself [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And that is what it is all about, right? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:01 PM
I Do This For The Glory

My work allows me to check the BBS regularly, I check and post during down time. I work on my jeep after work up to 10PM, I set this curfew for myself to get some sleep and as a curtesy to others. I work when I want to and just generally do what I like. Tonight it was surfing (on a Mac LC, it's a loose term), having a beer (blueberry), and culling more blueberries. When I find more steel I'll get back to it hot and heavy.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The way my work is, I'm either totally IN or I'm gone most of the day. My best time for doing jeep work is early in the AM, or on Fridays and Saturdays. Sometimes I work till noon and then shower and clean up and get in the office by a little after 1 PM. Jeepchick is getting nervous about getting the CJ finished before November and snow time.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Like David, I spend most of my time in front of the computer at work (I'm pretty much an "administrator" now), and with a high speed connection its easy to pop back and forth to stuff. Don't get to spend much time here in the evening, the ORC Land Use Section takes a bunch of my time updating it almost every day. Weekends are for wheeling, fixing things broke while wheeling, adding things or changing things for wheeling, and CHORES.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:01 PM

I own the joint, and for the most part, I'm pretty much retired (that's RETIRED, not retarded..), so I get to do what ever I want except for schmoozing clients or bank and board meetings, but they don't take up too much time...
("It's good to be King"--Tom Petty)
I have an office manager here NO one messes with, and all the employees think I'm some kind of kindly old eccentric genius......
BOY DO I HAVE THEM FOOLED!!

I have a T-1 line that is directly behind the wall of my office, and there is supposed to be a fiber optic cable in here pretty soon, so it's as fast as I need it to be...
I travel some, and I have other hobbies, but I also have a back injury, so I'm in my chair a lot, with time to kill, and harassing the office dog is only entertaining if they think you are serious, and the dog has me figured out....

I used to go to the health club and watch those HUGE FAT chicks work out, but now it's female only... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I think they did that to get rid of the hecklers [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]....

So now I just hang out and gab on the net.
I only post on this BBS, and I don't do any chat rooms or anything.
I'm usually just killing time when I'm on here.
I used to do the pirate 4X4, but if you think there are some testosterone driven brats here, you should see that place!

Speaking of testosterone driven brats, anyone see Dateline or 20/20 or whatever CBS has for a news show last night?
About the elephants in the African park acting like a punk gang?
I had been reading about that for about 5 years, and I'm glad I saw that blurb on the boob tube.
Real interesting! And I liked the approach they used too.
Kill the worst offenders, and send the rest a BIG bull elephant drill sargent!!
Worked great!

Well, I think I just made another one of those right angle tangents!!
Difference is, I realized it!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

later folks...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aaron, you're gettin really weird![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 07:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

no joke.. Aarnon..

houston we have a problem..

weve lost contact.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:51 AM

YUP!
That's true.
I'm feeling pretty good lately, in spite of the flames.

I'm not 'Normal' like the great mass of America is...
I do my own thinking. Not just THINK I do my own thinking...

I didn't go Y2K stupid.
I don't think the UN is any threat to our freedom.
I get involved with local problems instead of just whine about them.
I spend my money on stock certificate papers instead of specialty magazines and tabloid papers.
I don't buy anything unless it's going to work FOR me, instead of the other way around.

I guess you could call that 'Weird' in todays landscape...
---------------------------------

If I were, like the 'Normal' people,
I'd be working for some body else.
I'd be a disgruntled employee that goofed off on the 'net and hid from work more than they worked.
I wouldn't have retired at 34.
I'd be reading books about what other people say the 'rules' are, instead of finding out what works, and doesn't work for myself...

Question everything, exclude nothing, and if it's to be, it's up to me.

I'm not the smartest person I know, but I'm as smart as my dog, so I have to sniff everything.... And check it out for myself...
And see if I can make it work for me.

-----------------------------------------

I took a lot of heat here a while back because I said I don't have any 'Looser' friends....
That must have hit home with a bunch of people, because I never had such a mail box full of venom before.

I just don't see any point in hanging out with stupid people.
I'm never going to learn anything positive from them.
And it's just as easy to hang out with smart and successful people.
(not necessarily 'RICH' people, and never rich brats)
Just bright, successful people getting the job done.
They are upbeat, bright, full of good ideas, don't waste time or money, and are generally fun to be around.

That's why I only do mild mudding and trail riding, or just cruise town with the top off.
If I get into extreme rock climbing or hill climbing, I'm going to get with guys that are way too far out there, and thinking in that climbing box.

Jeeping is recreational to me, not a way of life.
If I threw everything I had into it, I could have the bad ass jeep to end all bad ass jeeps in my area, but I'd be a lot poorer, and I'd be bored with it.
I go Jeeping to relax, not to compete.
Not to compete with mother nature, or other jeepers.
Just to stress relieve, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] and spend time out of the box with my friends.

If I were still thinking in the box, you would still be stuck with the GM HEI as your only alternative, or maybe Jacobs.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
If I were stuck in the box, you still wouldn't have oil to the front drives.
If I were still stuck in the box, people would still be touting the 360 AMC as the engine to have...
Compressive ignition explanations, side by side comparisons, Holley carbs would still be declared junk, wiring diagrams would be scarce to come by, and look at all the stuff CJ-Dave, Dave, TEX and the others have contributed, all that wouldn't be here.
They are a little 'Different' too, just about half a bubble 'OFF'... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
----------------------------------

We just got called 'Arm Chair Quarterbacks' because we are trying to design a simple roll over protection system that will use easy to fabricate parts, and protect from all but the most violent crashes....
According to that thread, we are all too 'Academic' to get any 'real' four wheeling done...
Everyone on that thread is allowed to their opinion.
I personally think the slam came because that guy suggested something that was expanded as being incorrect for the application we were working on.
----------------------------------

We get berated for not talking about jeep stuff,
then when we talk about the single most important part of any off roader (the safety equipment) suddenly we are arm chair quarter backs, and talking about irrelevant, academic drivel...

I guess if you are having a problem keeping up, it might seem that way, but the truth is, everyone was invited to suggest anything they thought was important, and counter opinions were posted.
When that project is done, it's going to be posted here for all to see and use as a guide line.
-----------------------------------

You want the flaming to stop, so we start a project, and we kept it professional despite the start of name calling again.
Then there was more name calling, (armchair quarterbacks, ect.) in another thread...
When we stop the flames, and start a community project, we are 'academic' instead of someones idea of 'REAL 4X4 MEN'...

I don't mind 4X4 stories and pictures, but that is not why I came here. I came here because of the I.Q. that is displayed a lot of the time.
I like the guys that try to expand the envelope, those guys THINK!!.
Any idiot can push to the edge of the envelope, but only the thinking man can expand the envelope.

There are a few fine engineering minds here, and they have contributed much to the project.
And there is one engineering mind, with great CAD/ CAM Skills that has very unselfishly donated his time and skill to the project to make it more than just academic. (Take a bow, CJ7_304!!)

CJ Dave just pointed out a major weak point out in the CJ style body, and posted a convenient, quick and easy fix that reenforces the roll over protection system.
I'd hardly call that academic.

As long as that keeps happening, call me weird, strange, odd, stupid, armchair quarterback, academic, incoherent, babbling, goofy bastard![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Lola, Bert or Ernie, I don't care!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
I'm just happy to be in the company of such a talented crew!!

It's probably a good thing that we don't think alike.
If we did, you all would be driving Edsels and liking it! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
And I'd be living in a tropical island out of the country. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

(and once again, I demonstrate I don't think like you, so now I'm "weird" again with this post....
Interesting thing, the guys that called me, Stupid, Weird, Strange, ect. in high school, and thought they were so cool because they were 'Normal'.......,
can't pass the employment exam to even WORK for me...
So they wash my car and pump my gas, and build my furniture for half of what my employees make... but every bodies' got to work somewhere...)

Why can't we all just do our thing, and post our information and opinions with out everyone loosing bladder control when an opposing view point is posted?
(that's a rhetorical question, no answer or flame needed...)

I know we are never going to keep all of the people happy all of the time, but how about a little tolerance for the difference of opinion, and some support for the people having differing opinions?
(again, a rhetorical question, no answer or flame needed...)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 02:07 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

TR, I was sitting here reading your post and nodding my head in agreement the whole time...

Right up until I see the "Armchair quarterbacks" comment thrown in, and then I had to laugh [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] because you happen to be so self centered you thought that was directed at you [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Silly man....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

That thread was simply started to give us all a chance to remember what we are here for - 4 wheeling... You know, lighten up, share some pictures, stories, get excited about our common hobby...

Take your own advice TR - lighten up, let people post their opinions, and stop dragging this thing out like a personal war... the rest of us have moved on, shouldn't you? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode