Need advice on a AX15 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need advice on a AX15

Anybody out there replace the synchronizers on an AX-15? I found a mechanic at a 4x4 shop that says he has done plenty of them, but I have no idea what something like that entails and what it should cost. If I do get this thing rebuilt, what else should I have him do to make the AX-15 stronger and last longer? If I'm going to be looking at spending over a $1000 I'll probably just go all the way and replace it with a NV4500. Any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need advice on a AX15

should have included that it's i've got a 91 YJ w/4.0L and am running 33x12.50 MT's. want to keep the engine, but eventually run 35" MT's or swampers

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

It isn't that hard, but the first time may be quite a puzzle. The way that the shift rails and interlock pins are designed will take some figuring out. I would suggest a book for the proper order. As far as the brass itself, you will need a press to install the gears. When you get inside there, you will probably notice that the 1st/2nd shift hub will have some wear, and the reverse idler. These parts are expensive, and after you change them, it probably will still want to grind going into reverse. I probably wouldn't waste the money on replacing them, just live with the hard reverse shifting.

As far as making it last longer and stronger, make sure that the clutch is correct, and don't speed shift it.

Your '91 is unique as the piliot shaft is a little different. This brings a premium on the used market, and makes for a nice swap into an older '87 with the ba-10/5.

You may also want to consider pulling the tranny yourself, and carrying it to a shop. Another possibility would be finding a mechanic at a Dodge or Jeep dealer that would bench it on the side. New units are available, but are more expensive than the NV-4500.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 04:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you think I should just scrap the repair/upgrade idea and focus on the NV4500. Their is a good article on the swap on the ORC project YJ2K, but they didn't incude any of the costs. I saw that you are up in Colorado Springs, do you happen to know a guy named JT Taylor (has a black Toyota P/U and a Blue FJ40) He put my lift on my YJ for me back in April 99. He was starting a company called Pikes Peak Off Road. I've since moved and have been trying to get ahold of him. I think he's still in Korea. He and his GDI buddies did a lot of good work with the Independance trails down toward Canyon City.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode