CJ7 "Issues" Shocks/Lift/Engine/Thoughts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7 \"Issues\" Shocks/Lift/Engine/Thoughts?

As of today my jeep will be at the body shop getting its new paintjob.. it should take about 6 days to complete so I decided I need to sit down and figure out the particulars down the road. Right now my setup follows: 78 CJ7 w/ 304 bored .30 over, 4in Rancho, 35 BFG MTs, Quadratrac, Dana 44 rearend, Dana 30 frontend, Factory Ignition Module, 2bbl Holley Carb, Headers, Glasspacks. I am looking to replace the Intake with a 4bbl Setup from Edlebrock and get a combo 4bbl Intake ? Sound Good? What do ya’ll recommend? Also what are some good headers to install for more hp increase? Around May or so looking to install some 38s? What should I do to get the added lift for my Jeep? Body Lift/Shackles? I was looking into a Dual Shock Setup for the front of my jeep who makes a good kit? Also should I replace the 304 with a 360?

Thanks

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 07:24 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: CJ7 \"Issues\" Shocks/Lift/Engine/Thoughts?

To run 38's, I'd add a 2" body lift and a 1" shackle lift, along with at least a D44 front end. Rather than a dual shock setup, just go with RS 9000's. What tranny?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

bringing it to the top

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

He has the TH400 I think. I wouldn't go with dual shocks either money better spent elsewhere. You may also want to factor in an engine rebuild within the next year or so. The reason it was so hard to find TDC was the compression was low. (OR thats the best I could figure). Didn't want to rain doom and gloom while I was there but that is what I think. Might be able to throw some new rings in there and call it good for a while. I really do hope that doesn't happen. Your jeep is coming along great and that would be a show stopper for a while. Have you thought about going spring over with a 1" body and 1" shackle lift? That would be 7" overall not sure if that would be enough for 38's.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dont what are your thoughts on slapping the 38s on my jeep? About how much to puts some new rings on my engine? since it was bored over would I need a speical set? How much to get a shop to install? Let me know

Thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

38's are way to big for a dana 30. i think a 44 would only be marginal with this size tire.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd stick with 35s but its your jeep. Bigger meats require bigger everything else and for daily driving 35s would be fine for me. No idea on the price of engine work. Depend on the shop, the parts, etc.. Yes you need a set of rings to match your walls and pistons. The shop will most likely order that for you. I'm just a novice so I don't want to step on my crank too much (no pun intended). TR could do wonders for you I'm sure. Think it'd be cool to have some real work done to your rig by the smart guys here. Engine by TR or CJD. Bumpers and heavy metal by H8. Little beer and a lot of frequent flier miles could get you a great rig [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Sorry if I left anyone out. Lotta smart guys around here these are just the ones that have helped ME the most. Tex could be a tech advisor. Wait I started dreaming for a minute what was the question?

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

to the top

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 01:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looking for ideas on building rear tire carrier, front bumper? and thoughts about taking the headlights out and replacing with Hellas?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 02:09 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I would usually suggest replacement of a Dana 30 front with a Dana 44 as well, but as long as we are talking light to medium trail use and no front locker, a front 30 may survive 38's for quite a while...

I also say skip the double front shocks - money and effort there could be better directed to other projects with tangible gains [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode