33" Thornbirds - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

33\" Thornbirds

Has anyone used the 33X12.5 Super Swamper Thornbirds? I want a aggresive looking tire that will last a long time on the street. How do they do in the sand, mud, rocks? How do the perform on the street? Please share your thoughts.

78 CJ5/360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 02:43 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: 33\" Thornbirds

Do a search on these, they've been discussed in the past. Generally, they suck. They get sucky traction everywhere, and wear down on the street. The tires you're looking for are the BFG Mud Terrains, they're great.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 04:03 PM

erik, I would have to say that the thornbird is an aggressive 'looking' tire, but it is not at all aggressive.
It sucks on rock.
It sucks on sand.
It sucks in mud.
It sucks on the street.
JEEPN got it right.
The BFG mud terrain t/a is probably one of the best all around Jeep tires you can get.
It wears well on road.
It has good traction on rock, in mud, in sand, and on the street.
It also gets decent wear.

"I see." the blind man said to the deaf woman.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeepin is right about the bfg mt's. they get good traction in mud and rock and they last pretty good for a mt too. however if you plan on seeing alot of rocks i don't recomend them. i've seen so many side wall cuts on the bfg's that it isn't funny. i would sugguest the goodyear mt/r. i havn't seen many of them but the sidewalls are supposed to be pretty strong. i can't verify their strength but it can't be as bad as the bfg.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 04:16 PM
Old Hand

I will say that Thornbirds do not wear that great. However after owning several, Having them siped makes a huge difference on wet pavement. They perform well in snow powder. Siping cuts down on the howling. It is important to use the right width wheel with these as contact patch and air pressure greatly affects their lateral stability.

If you want a cool looking tire and don't mind the re-siping hassle they are OK. I got 35K out of some 29X10.50's.

In my opinion, the best all around tire is the Big O Big Foot AT. They are a little pricey but have the only off-road warranty I have seen. BFG MT's ride good but are loud. They will not last very long and suck on wet pavement compared to say a BFG AT.

If you have the money go for the Big O's or a set of Interco SSR's - they are siped, they are radial, and they look cool.

If you want an inexpensive tire like the BFG MT, try the Pro Comp Mud Terrains, they are a little lighter (not as tough a sidewall) and are siped for wet pavement. I have tried a set on wet pavement and they brake far better than BFG MT's.

My $0.02

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:03 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Ditto on the wet pavement. I wonder how they'd do siped? We got about 60,000 miles out of ours, still inspectable but not good for the winter. I recommend them for people looking to wheel heavily in all types of terrain and still get the high mileage out of only one tire.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode