4.0 on 4.2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.0 on 4.2

Anybody know where to get spacers to use 7/16" head bolts with a 4.0 head ? Clifford has 'em but won't sell them unless you send them your head for retro-fit or buy a head from them. BTW, I got that info after trying for three days to get somone to call me back. IMHO they're a bunch of arrogant pr!cks and I wouldn't buy anything from them !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4.0 on 4.2

It seems you are misinformed. Clifford Performance sells the part you need for $20 and will sell them to anyone who calls. We always try and help the customer get whatever he or she needs to get the job done. It seems that customers and people in general like yourself are killing the sport we all love so much. Take the Chevy vs Ford issue. Who cares? They both have their +'s and -'s, but they both are great vehicles and are used in our sport. If we start trying to kill another off....we will all be gone. Why bash?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 02:03 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey 6equals8 - if you (a Clifford rep?) say he can get the parts - how about making everyone involved happy by contacting him and helping him get the parts he needs - I am pretty sure that would make him happy, you happy, and I would be pretty impressed with that type of customer service [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Looks like a good opportunity for some great PR [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am more than a rep, I am the General Manager of Clifford Performance and I have sent him an e-mail about the part. He can contact me via e-mail and I will send him the part for free. The problem is the negative press he gives us and the sport in general. I am not going to get into the negative effects this has on our company, let alone the sport. Give me a call and I'll fed-ex them to ya. 909-734-3310 ex21.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 02:30 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Good deal [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think he was wanting to give you a bad rep - he was just telling of the experience he had. Sure sounded to me like he wanted to deal with you guys but maybe there was some miscommunication in the process. Glad to hear of the effort on your part though - top notch [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:11 PM
mindbender

Another option that I used was to go to your local hardware store and buy some piping that you can then cut to fit inside the bolts. The piping fit snug over the bolts and to the head. I assume you have 5/16 inch bolts that you need to put through 1/2" openings in the head. I did this about 9 months ago with no problems - what so ever.

Mindbender 85CJ7 I258 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 40 head ported polished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Jacobs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 31" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 999
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jay,

For your information, I was finally contacted (after 3 days of posting to you) by Eric. He didn't know what I was talking about and was talking to someone in the back ground. It was after he finshed with who ever it was he was talking to that he tried to sell me on sending in my head and then said they wouldn't sell the parts seperate. You can ask Eric if he remembers the conversation !!!
Thanks for the offer of sending the spacers but I've already got my machine shop friend on it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The easiest way to fix this is to wrap a couple of cut-off bolts (cut screwdriver slots in them with a hacksaw to remove them) with tape to use as centering guides as you lower the head to the block. tighten a couple of bolts to the first step, remove the guides, insert the headbolts and continue to tighten. The head won't move once its torqued.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode