towing capacity - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

towing capacity

Stock YJ with 258 engine has a 2000 lb towing capacity. How much of this is based on wheel base? My jeep has a chev350, NV4500, Atlas transfer case and Ford 9" axles, would this be safe pulling a 23foot 3500lbs camper?? Also I have a classII hitch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: towing capacity

If you have a equalizer hitch and electric brakes that work properly you might live to tell about it . Then again I had a 76 scout II with and eq hitch and electric brakes pulling a 22 ft trailer.. On the way home from a hunting trip the load shifted" no fresh water up front and the grey and black water in the rear " the 1 st big hill going down over 55 and it was over the trailer was a total loss and the scout after being uprighted and the window frame bent up drove home ......be carefull

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 12:40 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: towing capacity

I wouldn't. A lot of it is based on the weight of the tow vehicle. If the towed vehicle weighs more than the tower vehicle (kinda rhymes don't it?), there's going to be trouble, even with brakes and all the equalizing garb. The problem is the mass of the towed vehicle is greater than the tow vehicle, so when the brakes are applied, the tow vehicle (lesser weight) gets tossed around from the towed vehicle (greater weight). I've seen rigs that outweigh their trailer by 300 pounds get really scary, so I wouldn't trust my life to it. The hp and durability aren't the limiting factors, they get you up the hill, the worst part is trying to brake while going down. Even with trailer brakes, the trailer tends to shift side to side, and it takes the tow vehicle with it, which sets everything in motion. The more motion, the more uncontrollable it is. This may have come off a little muddier than I'd like, but does it make sense?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode