waggie axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

waggie axles

I have a chance to purchase a pair of Dana 44's (front and rear) from a Waggoneer (unknown year and ratio). They are complete w/ brakes. Is this a good deal for $300.00?? Will there be HUGE problems??? Thanks, Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: waggie axles

well have you seen them? if not make sure the pumkins are in the correct location for your x-case. the wagoneers used different setups. you will have to move your front spring hangers outboard the frame which isn't really that hard but it is work. these axles will be wider than your current setup so make shure you want that. you will also more than likely have to switch to 6 lug rims because most wagoneers came with the six lug pattern. if the pumkins are in the right place and you want extra width go for it. you can't get 1 peice axles for your model 20 for that.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 11:31 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Pre 76 gets you flat top knuckles too - great for high steering crossover conversion [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 05:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chad;

I just completed a grand wagoneer axle swap on my YJ. go to:

http://www.chadlloyd.rockcrawler.com/Jeep.html

under tech, there is a link to grand wagoneer axle swap.

The other posters are correct in there were different ones, hopefully you got post 86 - dual d44s, tie rod on top of the knuckles, 6 bolt, internal hubs, etc etc.

In my opinion, if everything is good, including the brakes, then $300 is a good deal - mine were cheaper, but I had to shell out for all new brake components all the way around.

If it is post 86, then the ratio is probably 3.07.

Regards,

Chad Lloyd

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 06:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

make sure the front axle is NOT closed knuckle....the closed knuckle waggie front 44 has tiny axle shats(smaller than a dana 30) with tiny u-joints and 19 spline axles to boot..top it off with hard to find parts and drum brakes, and it's about the most worthless axle out there..

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey elusive, didn't you say that you found a 5on 5.5 lug dana 60 with a width of 61"? if so a narrow track wagoneer front axle is this same width. the rears are 59" abd the fronts 61. just thought you might want to know. incase you ever plan a swap.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ya high.. a friend of ours found it in a junkyard.. came in early 60's ford work trucks.. 1/2 tons with the 3/4 ton upgrade.. most came with a posi..
those amc 20's in the rears.. came with one piece axles.. already... and has thicker tubes than the cj axles..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the responses. I picked them up tonight. They are out of a 1979 waggie. they came with all of the brake and steering attatchments. I guess they will have the stamps on them with gearing like other 44's. I have a question. Do I have to move the hangers outboard of the frame? Could I just weld new perches in the correct location? I also need to put some hubs in. I am told Warn has a very good conversion kit. The six lug deal and width really does not bother me. Also, are the brakes better than the CJs'. They look BIGGER. I could use any info you guys can give me. This is my first axle swap. P.s. You have a great site, Chad Lloyd. I hope I dont have some of those problems!! Thanks, Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes you will have to move the hangers out board the frame. the pumkin will not allow you to move the pads. are you sure the rear is not for a q-track and have a offset rear pumkin? if so i hope you are running either a q-track or a dana 18 x-case. yes the brakes are bigger and i think a set of warn internal style hubs will bolt to your existing wheel hub.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:59 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I was thiking the same thing about the offset rear 44.... When did they start putting the heavy duty AMC 20's in the rear - He either got the offset rear 44 or the 20 right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode