O/T - digital cameras - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 04:05 PM
TEX

O/T - digital cameras

<font color=purple>I've been thinking for some time about getting a digital camera. I'm really impressed with the Sonys & their use of the standard floppy. How easy is that? Well, now I see they have a CD model (for $1,299 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]) that can hold up to 1080 images & then you just plug the CD into your CDRom or DVDRom. Rock n Roll!! But, these cameras are big & pricey. Any opinions from those using the mem-stick & other such features???</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 04:59 PM

Re: O/T - digital cameras

I have two Kodaks.
I have a little 215 that I use personally, and a larger one for shooting catalogs.

The little 215 doesn't have a remote flash capability, so it's only good for candid shots.
It does have a built in flash that works pretty well, but it's harsh.

I didn't like the idea of being limited to 1.44 MB on a floppy disk, I have a 32 MB card in my Kodak, and it just never seems to run out of space.
It saves in the Kodak format, (what ever THAT is,) and it will save in regular JPEG format, and I REALLY like that.
If you decide to get the 215, get the USB camera (gold).
The serial 215 (silver) has painfully slow connection.

On the upside, both cameras are under $300, and come with tons of picture editing software.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 05:04 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Cool. Thanks.</font color=purple>

TEX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 05:09 PM

I like Kodak's units as well. I bought a DC280 for use at work for right around $500 for a full blown package with extra memory, charger, batteries, carry case, etc. I have a cheapie Global (rebadged Mustek) that I picked up for around $120 that I use for my web page (used to use vid-caps from my camcorder) and for trail runs that works quite well for basic point & shoot stuff.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 05:23 PM

Tex I use the Sony Mavica with the floppy disc and I think it is great. You get an opticl zoom with this camera that if you use it outside has alot better capabilities than the digital zoom on a lot of the cameras. I also like the ability to take the floppy out and give it to the wife or some friends to view on the PC while I stick another floppy in and continue to take pix. I also have the ability to get instant viewing on the camera to check if I need to take another shot,(this happens more than not due to My "expert abilities with a camer",,,,hehehe).

The camera also has the 60 second movie ability to. There are a lot of options whith the Mavica's. I get about 30 to 40 shots per disc outdoors and can get about a little more indoors on standard settings. Hope this helps some.
GP'n

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 11:04 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>The Mavicas really seem to have all the features I'd want & soooooo convenient. I can definitely take advantage of a nice optical zoom outdoors - in fact, pics from the mud races I sanction are what I'm thinking of as justification for the purchase. The newest one with the CD has 10X optical 20X digital & the CD is something like 156 meg. So, I could do plenty of the short action shots as well as still photos. Kinda pricey, but then again you get what you pay for.</font color=purple>

TEX

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got the Sony, very pleased. Floppy is the way to go. Taken it to Europe and Skiing in Canada and no problems whatsoever. I usually only get 6 pics per disk, but I always use the largest format. Still I don't complain, just carry more disks out with me. Bring them back to my room and save them to the hard disk, e-mail back to my home and when I get home download them. Label each pic and save 650 mb to a CD/R. Works great. Easy to use. I do wish that Sony would make a model that would either a Super disk or Zip disk. Now that would be cool.

Get the uv filter if you use it in the snow, otherwise everything is blue(Family borrowed it and found this out the hard way)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The thing I don't like about the Kodak is the proprietary memory, while the smart media prices have come WAY down in the last few months, the Kodak and Sony (Memory Stick) have stayed the same.
The next thing to consider is what the camera will be used for. If you are into sequential action shots the Sony Mavica becomes almost useless. (Write times to the floppy are very slow). One thing to consider is the newer generation of digital camcorders, they have come down to about the 700.00 dollar range and can not only capture things 'real-time' in typical camcorder fashion but they can also do digital stills, and at very good quality. As an added bonus they are way ahead of their 'still-only' counter parts in the use of a good zoom. I do however use an Olympus D340-R for taking pictures on the trail, it is light weight and it only cost me 199.00 after tax. It is not all that robust but for what I need it to do it works great.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 03:25 PM

Kodak 280 is what we have here at the office....
Remote flash capabilities, GREAT high resolution pictures, and built in filtering and exposure....

I forgot until I saw it on another post, both the Kodak cameras we have the view screen on the back, but they are battery eatin' little mugs, the 215 in particular.
Both cameras are loaded with photo editing features built right into the cameras.

I'm with Austn on the digital camcorder.
It really is the best of both worlds with a good price to boot.
He's right about the zoom too.
If you what the good of zoom on a digital still, you'll have to buy one of the REAL EXPENSIVE digitals that use the regular 35 MM style lenses.
I've already looked into that... But I can't justify the $3,000 plus dollars, so I'm waiting for the price to come down.

I haven't taken my 35 out of the closet for over a year now... Not sence I got the latest digital cameras.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode