DIY R&P swap....Success! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

DIY R&P swap....Success!

Since this topic has come up again, I thought I would post this.. Yes, after 2500 miles I am finally claiming success! I have an 84 CJ-7, and I did a gear swap to 4.27's and installed ARBs in both axles without any prior R&P experience. I spent alot of time researching every aspect of this job until I felt I knew enough to try it.
Here's my story, and what I think is important if your thinking about doing this job yourself...

1) Be mechanically competent. This is probably 2nd only to an engine or tranny rebuild in difficulty, and here, being close won't cut it. The tolerances for error are incredibly small. I have been a aircraft mechanic(A-10's for the Mass ANG) for 14 years, and am pretty good with precision equipment and tools so I was confidant in my abilities.
2) Have ALL the proper tools. I bought a 12 ton shop press from Harbor Freight for about $100, and also ordered some gear pullers, bearing seperators, brass punches, and other small stuff. I borrowed a friend's dial indicator and dial calipers. Even though I spent money on tools, it was still cheaper than the labor costs to have the work done, and I get to keep the tools for other jobs! Another tip is to buy a spare set of bearing, and hone the press fit out of them. This allows you to easily slide them on and off for the hundreds of times you'll change the shims. Also, I couldn't find marking compound anywhere, so try to get extra when you order your gears.
3) Make sure you understand the job completely. I read alot of sites on R&P setup, how to read gear patterns, and how to change to shims to move the pattern around. There are TONS of links out there, and they are just a www.dogpile.com away!
4) I think this is most important. BE PATIENT AND TAKE YOUR TIME! I was very aware of the fact that if I messed up, it would cost me more to get my mistakes fixed by someone else. I was lucky enough to have a spare front axle to experiment on. This allowed me to take my time without the pressure of having to get it on the road by Monday. It probably took me 30 hours of time total over the course of a few weeks to do that front axle. I pulled the carrier out so many times I lost track.I also intentionaly set the gears up wrong several times at each extreme so I would know what the pattern looked like when it was off.

After I swapped my front axle in, I soon did the rear. This time I had no spare, so I made sure I did it on a long weekend, and got started early. It took a while, but by this time I had a better idea of what I was doing. I was pretty nervous the first time I took it for a spin around the block but it didn't make any funny noises. After 300 miles I changed the oil, and nearly had a heart attack when I saw shiny bits in it. During my tense phone call to WCD I found out the gears are coated with a phosphate coating so they don't rust on the warehouse shelves and this is what I saw in the oil. PHEW! I changed the oil again at 600 miles, and finally began to feel comfortable enough to turn the radio back on and not strain my ears to catch the sounds of imminent drivtrain failure. MY gears don't make any noise at all!
I think now everything is gonna be alright! And I saved enough to buy a new set of rims and tires to boot!
See ya on the trail
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 03:04 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: DIY R&P swap....Success!

Feels good, doesn't it? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I found that setting up gears is something that is more time consuming that difficult. I have over 10k miles on my first diff setup, and have done 3 since then without a problem. The up side to the low margin of error is that if you got it right - you got it right: no question about it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As for resources, I used 2 sets to do mine: a Toyota factory manual and the directions Randy's R&P included with his gears. Between the two, EVERY aspect was covered from just about every angle, leaveing no doubt about how the setup should go [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 03:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i was very fortunate.... i had 2 very good gear people show me how to set up gears.. at different times.. i read the books, then tried one...it blew up about a year later(coulda been the 35 boggers and the welded dana 30 carrier)then i had a pro show me how..i was pretty close the first time.. but not close enough!.. then i was pretty confident the third time, so a different person showed me how he does it..different, but the same too...now i have satisfaction and enough confidence to do them for friends(not always good).. it makes choices so much easier... "i wanna a detroit in the new tj".jeepchick tells me..hmmmm.. i can install it..it'll only cost me 470......not too bad.. i can do that...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Bob,

Check your private e-mail.

Thanks,

Fluke [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:55 PM

OK so...the question from me is...what tools did it take, how much did they cost, and how much would it cost to get the tools you borrowed? I guess ordering a set of R&P from WCD is worth the extra expense just to get the directions?

Restoring a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:55 PM

OK so...the question from me is...exactly what tools did it take, how much did they cost, and how much would it cost to get the tools you borrowed? I guess ordering a set of R&P from WCD is worth the extra expense just to get the directions?

Restoring a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

lets see....
You could probably get everything from Harbor Freight. Some of their stuff is cheap imported stuff, but the only thing you need accuracy and good quality in is the dial or vernier calipers, dial indicator, and torque wrenches so spend more money on those items...

12 ton press from Harbor Freight.. 100.00
brass punches 5.00
dial/vernier calipers 30.00
dial indicator 30.00
large bearing seperator 15.00
3 jaw gear puller set 30.00

Most folks probably already have all the other more commen tools, maybe with the exception of the torque wrenches
Also, I scrounged up alot of scrap pieces of steel and aluminum for press plates on the press...

As far as resouces on the 'net for info, I used a bunch of different sites..

www.off-road.com/jeep/grand/arb/arb3.htm
www.off-road.com/toyota/gears.html
www.networld-cafe.com/~wheelin/r&p.html
www.home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/gearswap.htm

good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode