Don't agree with someone's post?...don't read it! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Don\'t agree with someone\'s post?...don\'t read it!

This BBS used to be enjoyable to read...now it's getting to the point that I only visit every few days to read some posts.
There's really no point in arguing morality...why? Because everyone believes something different! That's what makes the
world go around!

It was obvious from the first few post I made to this BBS that there's no point in trying to hammer home my own views. Now,
I just give my view, and I move on! Let someone else waste their useless time to bash each other because there are only a few
here that ruining it.

Alec

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20 dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights
'glass body tied in full cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Don\'t agree with someone\'s post?...don\'t read it!

Well said It just seems this has to be said way too often around here. We went through this with some other off topic post a few months ago. I don't even remember what it was about but it got everyone all fired up. The things I do recall from a fw months back are the help I got concerning transmissions, the assistance I got with acqiring a fan shroud, some guy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] from california calling me to help me get my engine running, all the help I got with my engine wiring harness, the guy, four states away, that I helped get his jeep running (actually stopped by his house on my way to do some training). Those are things I remember and I even remember the names of each of those that helped me (they have been omitted to protect the innocent). Oh yeah some guy put a virus on here and some other guy got pi$$ed. In the grand scheme of things OH WELL! If you don't like something you've read it is by no means a reason to personally attack the author. Once again as stated by ALEC if you don't like it don't read it. If you are thin skinned or have a volatile personality then think twice before you read ANYTHING.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 10:41 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Wait - how do you know if you don't agree with it if you haven't read it? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I am all for a good debate - even a pretty <font color=red>hot</font color=red> one. I love seeing passionate people express their views - and I will read every single one and glean what I can from it and move on - just like we are supposed to, right? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just have this problem where as soon as someone starts making personal attacks, the rest of their points are all of a sudded invalidated [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If you don't like that little quirk of mine - you shouldn't have read my post [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

So quit reading [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I told you to stop [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

But seriously, as with everything - it is a cycle... even thought TR and I disagree at the moment, I am sure (and rather hopeful) that he will chill out and everyone will get back to tossing out some pretty dang useful information to the group again... A guy can dream, right? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 10:42 AM
FlMudCJ

I remember when TeamRush (to point a finger, but there are others who have sharp tongue's) was first getting started on ignition systems, and laid the foundation for the 'TeamRush ignition upgrade,' that anybody running an HEI system obviously had too much money and didn't care about performance, but just was following the trend. There were plenty of toes steped on, and all in all, eventually he toned down and people were willing to learn.

I make excuses for people who are ignorant on some specific fact. But when it comes to life skills, or when they know something, and continue to do it wrong, I can't stand them.

TeamRush, I know your not reading this post, because it seems to be against your moral fibre to read anything against yourself, but maybe you should seek some professional help for this anger and anamosity you feel towards people with the balls to give you their opinions. IE: Regarding the virii post, I stated that I felt that virii writers are inteligent, and amasing programmers, rebels, but still awe inspiring programmers. In your ignorance, which I can forgive, you don't realise that virii writers share their programs with others, so that they can learn and see what holes or vulnarabilities there are out there. What happens is, some deranged adolecant decides to take somebody else's work, which is in a benign state, activate it, compile it and intenionally set it loose on the net. For the majority of Virii, the author doesn't release it. I know, because one of mine got released... When I found out, I sent e-mails to McAfee and Norton with information so they can include protection for all of my virii, incase any others were stolen without my knowledge...

I agree wiht Alec, the BBS is starting to slowly pick up a sour flavor, and its not just one person's fault. Everybody needs to step back and realise that we're here to help each other, share stories and expand each others wealth of information.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 01:35 PM

People who find faults in operation systems are called "Trouble Shooters".
They are well paid, highly trained, highly skilled individuals.

People that write and release viruses are called 'CRIMINALS'.
Check with Federal Criminal Statutes regarding 'Malicious or Destructive Computer Code'.
They are also cowardly scum of the earth, along with child molesters, sneak thieves, and lawyers and politicians in my opinion.

I get help with my anger management.
It's called Range Time and Martial Arts Classes.
Both help a lot with the basic urge I feel to choke the living daylights out of the I.Q. challenged I meet every day.

The term I.Q. challenged is going to inflame someone, I'm sure, but that is the kindest thing I can call some people.

I'm going to try this one more time....
I really don't care what some of the participants think of me.
There seems to be room for everyone's opinion but mine on this BBS according to about half a dozen of you.
I also notice that there only about half a dozen that are being violent about this, all of which I have cyber slapped down before.

Too bad, because I'm here until I choose not to be.
Simple as that.
I change what I can, and the rest I loose NO sleep over.

Like I have said time and time again,
Arguing with you is like trying to teach a pig to sing.
The only reason I respond now is I used to have some respect for you FlMudCj.
You still haven't actually read what I wrote on the virus thread, or you wouldn't be making this a personal attack now.
Too bad you are so easily swept along by the Bubba boys, humbugging everything they think you should...

This is a waste of my time, I don't know why I'm responding to you at all...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 02:02 PM
FlMudCJ

You apparently never have spent time in the electronic underworld, you don't understand the mentality, or the nature of anything that goes on there... How can you, your a wrench-head, grease monkey, or 'trade worker.' How's that for stereotypes. Most of the virii writers (excluding macro writers, I don't even consider those virii) ARE troubleshooters, who find vunlerabiliities, document them, then some two-bit e-hood decides that he can unleash them on the world... So who's the criminal, the scientest who develops dynamite, or the terrorist who puts 20 cases in the back of a delivery van and parks it under the world trade center, or the FBI building??? HMM??

I didn't make it a personal attack until you decided to in the virii thread, or can't you see it? FROM THE LIMITED INFORMATION I have of you, I can tell that you are attending the martial arts for more of a physical conditioning and martial nature, with not as much conventration on the art. The martial arts I study concentrates on meditation, forms, and self defence. Our master emphasises non-confrontation, and a desire to seek the other individual's point of view, regardless as to wether or not you agree with it. Arron, I don't want to make enemy's here, and I still have a great respect for you as a person, and as a resource to be reconed with, who's information is completly and wholely accurate in both fact, and opinions on fact. I am personally honored that you respected me, to any extent. But there have been a few times where I feel that you jump to a conclusion too fast, and that at that point you have closed youself to any other viewpoint, period. I'm _NOT_ saying you can't have your own opinion, but I am saying that respecting other's opinions also means that you have to atleast consider them.

I don't remember anybody saying that they wanted you to leave, and if I missed that post, let me say that _I_ don't want you to leave.
and that's all I have to say.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 02:30 PM

In my current martial art, discipline and self assurance go hand in hand.
We also emphasize personal accountability.
If you use the martial art in self defense, or in the defense of innocent people, that's OK.
If you use the martial art to agress, or be a bully, then you will have me to deal with...
And I'm undefeated in 18 years.

Same with virus writing.
If it's used for good, to find problems, or to fix problems, it's not a virus, it's a patch or upgrade.

If it's used to destroy, it's a destructive virus, and that is illegal, and ranks right up there with beating up some ones kids you don't like, or child molesting... Or being a democrat governor from Arkansas...

I can't condone releasing viruses under any circumstances.
If I did that then I'd have to start agreeing with child molesters that they were led on by 5 year olds, and I'd have to start agreeing with clinton he didn't have sex with the tramp, or believing lawyers when the say they are acting in my best interest...

There is no gray area. If you write program that could be used maliciously, then you have the responsibility for protecting it from mis use, or you are no better than the guy that turns it loose.

Too bad we don't cane the stupid here in this country, or a whole bunch of this crap would stop.

My position still stands. Patches or upgrades are good, viruses are wrong.
There is no gray area for me.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 02:56 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

TR, let me also say I have not, and will not ask you to leave. I have said in almost every post of mine that I have respected the information you have shared... Shoot, I still don't have a freakin' clue about the ignition upgrade thread that went on here [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], but I read it - ALL of it, and valued your information for what it was - INFORMATION.
I was even pretty impressed with how you handled yourself when others were personally attacking you during that thread. You didn't call names then, or lash out childishly - you simply shared your information and your FACTS spoke for themselves...

But if you will go back and take the time to see what I recently came down on you about, it is about HOW YOU ARE TREATING THOSE WHO DISAGREE WITH YOU. I am contiually confused at why you feel it is necessary to degrade people for simply disagreeing with you when not so long ago you handled yourself quite respectably...

So I disagreed with you about the whole rollover incident - you said what you though, and that was OK. But then you started bashing those who disagreed with you - why? It surely did not help myself and others want to understand where you were coming from - and made the informaiton in your posts hard to read while having to wade through the personal attacks.

I hope you can take this for what it is - just some comments from someone who would rather see you say your peace without the name calling and personal attacks. I am not trying to attack you - just make a rather resonable request that I am sure you would agree would benefit everyone...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Quit chest beating!

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

In my current martial art, discipline and self assurance go hand in hand. We also emphasize personal accountability. If you use the martial art in self defense, or in the defense of innocent people, that's OK. If you use the martial art to agress, or be a bully, then you will have me to deal with... And I'm undefeated in 18 years.

<hr></blockquote>

Where's the "personal accountability" when you say something, then turn around and erase the posts? Don't you stand by your word?

I don't think your martial arts training has taught you much. "True martial artists" do not go around pounding their chests saying how big and strong they are or how they can kick ass. Not only that, but if you where truely "learned" you would not need martial arts "classes" or the firing range (as you mentioned earlier) to mellow out. You would also be a little (maybe a lot) more thoughtful and a lot less hostile with your posting to this BBS.

You seem to have one very large chip on your shoulder TR, maybe you should find out where that is coming from and deal with it, instead of venting by attacking people here.

Who's the real "bully" around here? If someone disagrees with you, you seem to have a need to tear into them and/or their opinion like there is no tomorrow.

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 03:09 PM

Wish you were here.... jo-jo

Well, this thread just went to hell.
It's not worth my time now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode