Reminder: the basics are critical - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Reminder: the basics are critical

I recently pulled out my heater unit to do the Blazer motor update before fall.

In the course of pulling the battery tray, I discovered a mangled hose with a big chunk out of it that had been hidden and therefore was undiscovered under the batt tray. Since the end of that hose most easily seen was to the charcoal cannister, I figured it was no big thing and let it ride for a few days.

Today I replaced it and learned that the other end went to a vacuum distributor at the carb base.

Surprise! The low idle when cold has resolved itself and the jeep runs better now that the whole vacuum system is intact.

I've now checked all my vacuum hoses and taken a solemn oath (sworn on a can of Coors) to visually check them every time the hood's up.

Simple stuff can make a lot of difference.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.
</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Reminder: the basics are critical

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] A used car guy told me once that whenever they take in a trade that barely runs; and for which they gave almost nothing; they treat the car to a complete "Vacuum Psysic", replacing bad hoses and stopping leaks. PRESTO! The car comes to life and they make a crapload of dough![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 12:03 PM

Re: Reminder: the basics are critical

When someone complains of something running poorly, I say, "Check for vacuum leaks"....
They go look at the hoses around the carb base, and report no vacuum leaks...
So when I look at it, I find split ends on the hoses, vacuum switches not working or leaking, charcoal canisters that have come apart and are leaking, hoses that have gotten into the exhaust manifold, hoses full if gasket sealer, RTV, crud, ect...
and the list goes on forever..

No body ever has a 'vacuum leak', so I charge them $60 an hour for changing their' vacuum lines.

HEY! A guy has to make a living.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode