body lift 101 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

body lift 101

ok,my ignorance is showing but,i'm getting ready to order a 3 inch body lift,my qeustion is,do you use the old bushing's with a lift,and if so, should i order a urathane bushing kit to go with the new lift?Is there any thing else i need to do the job?i hate to start something just to find out i need to order part z,after i got going!!!
thanks
matt

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: body lift 101

Why are you ordering a 3in Lift?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Matt unless i'm not thinking clearly the 3 in body lift replaces all the old bushings with the new lift blocks. Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder
79 CJ-7/304/T-18/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Big4wdcj is correct in saying that the 3" (way too high) body lift replaces the stock bushings,and by all means replace your body mounts at the same time,youve got it apart anyway and they are cheap cheap. my two cents

jsjps
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>3" is a lot of body lift... I know it's cheap, but some of the pressures it puts on your drivetrain, steering, and other componets could add up cost a LOT more than getting a 1"lift, and 3/4" shackle lift...

But yes, get new body mounts... then you only have to do it once...

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All your linkages will be stretched to the max. I wouldn't go with the 3 in body but all you need is a good set of sockets with extensions and a big can of liquid wrench. Hi lift helps. Make sure the kit you get is complete. M.O.R.E makes a good one. Set my sights on the 1" if I were you but to each his own thats why its YOUR jeep.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks!!!!thats why i asked,learning as i go

all laws only affect the law abiding
support capital punishment,guarantee no repeat offenders
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was thinking about the 2" lift, but you guys have me scared now. Will a 2" be alright? I've installed 3" body lifts on full size rigs with no problems. I don't like the look of a 3" so I was going to use a 2" and 1" lift thru shackles. 89 YJ trying to fit 35's.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-195804-P0001195.jpg (75.8 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 12:18 PM

John a 2" body lift will work fine and look good on your YJ. Just get a good lift with all the components that you will need. Rad. drop, shift extention. Ive had one for years now and have no problems. You will have to check the body mount bolts every so often as they have a tendency to get a little loose with the added leverage on the body. I personaly don't like a shackle lift because you are only lifting part of the axle, or I should say just rolling it a little to get the height. This has a adverse effect on steering geometry. You have to remember that if you get a 1" taller shackle you are only lifing your Jeep 1/2". To get 33's on my 87 I used a 2.5" suspension lift and a 2" body lift.
GP'n

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:36 PM

To get 35s on a YJ you will need a total of 7" of lift. so even if you put a 3" body lift on you will need a 4" suspension lift...

Restoring a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode