fuel senders - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

fuel senders

This is a longshot but i have nothing to lose except 75.00 for a stock unit which i think is crazy for a oem type fuel sender for a vehicle with a mechinical fuel pump,ok here goes,the fuel sender is bad in my 86 Eagle.Jeep has none in stock to compare with and wants 75.00 for a new one.Ill go junkyard parts if i have to but hate to cause they are probably about worn out too and its a royal pain to drop a fuel tank more than once.
My question is does anyone have a pic of a non injected YJ sender for mid 80's?
Leon Rosser sells them for around 30.00 and has a blurry pic on his web site and it looks the same (except for pickup pipe angle) as my eagle.I could modify it to work IF it was the same all except pipe.I have tried everywhere and none are below 75 bucks except his.Some may say just buy what fits but i am not to embarrased to say that i only make min wage right now and just cant afford the 75.00 but at same time,hate to go with yard parts unless i have to.Or i can suppy a pic of mine if anyone would need to see it.I really want to exaust all posibilities of a new sender first,i have tried the Eagle web rings to no avail.
Seems 80 - 88 Concord/eagle is the same unit. I also have the Eagle part number.
Yes i tried "PartsVoice" too.Its just darn near impossible when you cant compare one to another as no one stocks a Jeep unit around here. Any input/info would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:27 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: fuel senders

The fuel sender technology is pretty darned simple. It’s just a brass float that’s attached to a lever that is attached to a variable resistor.

Take a Voltmeter and attach it to measure OHMS on the variable resistor. Measure from one end of the variable resistor to the other end. You should measure about 80 ohms or so…. Now connect the ohmmeter between the fuel sender wiper and one end of the sender variable resistor. Move the wiper along its full travel by slowly moving the float arm. The Ohmmeter display should reflect a smooth transition from high to low Ohms… like zero to about 80 ohms. Check to see if the wiper is loose from the variable resistor. The wiper should always be in firm contact with the resistor wire.

Check the brass float to see if gas has leaked into the float. There often is a button of solder on one end of the float. Use a small soldering iron to remove the button… this is a plug. After the plug is removed the gas that has leaked into the float can be safely drained.

Look at the seam of the float. Get some mechanical solder and flux. Put the flux on the seam and re-solder the seam to repair any leaks. After the seam has cooled, blow into the hole to pressurize the float. This is a test for seam leaks. Once you are satisfied there are no leaks… re-seal the hole with solder. The brass float is a common, off the shelf, item used in other vehicles. If you crush the float trying to repair it… go to the junk yard and pull a float out of almost any other make vehicle.

Now you’ve completely rebuilt the sender on the cheap! Check to makes sure electrical connections are good…

Reinstall the sender in the tank and install the harness making sure the contacts of the harness and sender are free from corrosion. Measure from ground to the variable resistor output pin. Do you have a good reading? If so the sender is now reworked, and reinstalled.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 05:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes,fuel senders are pretty damn simple,and as stated in my post,mine is bad..Cant rebuild one that has the windings on the board broken in about 3 different places.Thats why i am looking for a replacement.Also it doesnt have a brass hollow float it has the black solid one,and yes it still floats.Being simple is why if a YJ has the same sender box at the top and same size sealing area and i can get one for appox. 30.00 i can modify the rest to work instead of paying 75.00 i dont have to spend in the first place.I also know the Ohm values of the Eagle unit and they are the same as a pre injected Jeep of mid 80's era.
But as i said if you cant hold a Jeep unit in your hand and compare it to mine in th other hand,I wouldnt want to take a chance ordering one,hence i asked if anyone had one they could take a pic of,or fimilier enough with it that i could show em a pic of mine for comparison/measurments. It may not be hard on a jeep but dropping a Eagle tank over and over isnt something i want to do or have time to do when i have to drive about 75 miles a day everyday,another reason i want new parts in it instead of worn junkyard parts.I dont want it going out again in January and have to lay in a foot of snow in zero temps and try to fix it again.I just think that when i bought a new sending unit for Ford for a Tempo with a electric pump on it and paid only 100.00 for it, 75.00 for one of these is crazy.BTW, the rubbing block on the arm has worn so much,its not even there,so mine is useless.I might want to add we all get and have that feeling of gloating and aclomplishment of not throwing hard earned money away when we can rig something up that works and beat the factory guys by not buying from them,and or price wise , this is no different.But i cant get hold of a Jeep one to compare,i hope this makes it a bit clearer as to what i was asking and why.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check out the following URL:

http://www.jeepdoc.com/catalog/products.asp?id=28

I have been happy with my purchases and their service, very willing to help...

<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258</font color=red>
'nothin' special, but lots of fun!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode