Aftermarket radiators - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 06:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aftermarket radiators

Who makes the best? Where do I find one? How much? Its for a CJ-7 w/ 360. Trying to get my fan shroud to fit I punched a hole in my radiator.

What I found so far
Be Cool 4core $491 summit
Modine 4core $319 JCWhitney

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Aftermarket radiators

I went from a Modine 3 row radiator, To a Ready-rad 4 row with my 401. The 3 row Modine worked just as good as the 4 row Ready-rad. The only reason I change it is because iI trash the Modine doing a Mud bog, and thought it would be a good time for an upgrade. Are you sure that the 4 row is a Modine, because I searched the Modine catoloug and couldn't find a 4 row for my 78 CJ.

Thanks, Ray

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No I wasn't sure about the 4 row Modine but was going to call them tomorrow to check for sure. I ASS-U-MEd that they would make one for my jeep.
You liked the 3 row fine with a 401? If thats the case then I'll probably go with it.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] One of my moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] is too embarassed to ask, but he wants to know why you are not going to simply repair the radiator that you have?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] He is telling me about the time his folks were struggling to get out to Californey and they had to make a quickie low-bucks radiator repair by sweating off the top and bottom tanks and soldering the damaged tube closed on each end. He was too little to remember much, but he does recall playing in the weeds alongside the road while daddy used a propane torch made from their camp stove to sweat the tanks off. He claims it was 115 degrees in the shade that day and there was no shade.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you saw it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img], you wouldn't be asking. I thought about this and came up with the following:
1. I don't know how to fix it myself.
2. I don't trust any of the local shops.
3. If I do get it fixed then I have band-aided a 23 yr old radiator.
4. Core it out. Why do this when its expensive and see #2.
CJDave if you can enlighten me further please do. I'm....well lets just say the jeep is glad there aren't any cliffs around here.

Can you fix it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 11:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I can see the dilema that you have there, Don, and although my moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] is disappointed that you will not be using his Route 66 Repair, he understands as well. I've always been fortunate to have radiator guys that I could trust, but actually, back in the dirt farmer days, we did our own repairs as much as we could, and I learned that it was not all that tough to do. The trick is not too much heat. In fact, the radiator shops use natural gas in their torches for that very reason.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The core IS the radiator, so if you had a good place to go to recore the thing, it may be a money saver, but the key word is "maybe". We were fortunate that our CJ had a new radiator when we got it, although frankly, I would rather have to replace a radiator than replace the floorpans like we ended up doing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Life CAN be a trade-off, that's for sure.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 11:13 PM
Way Outta Control

Re-coring a 70'- 80's CJ radiator can be asking for trouble. The top and bottom tank walls are very thin. The price of a 3 row core, soldered into the OEM tanks can approach the cost of a new aftermarket radiator. If the shop doing the re-core has problems with tanks, well... its taps for the radiator, or you'll see some rather large clumps of solder along the seams. Those clumps are just a waitin' to blow at the worst possible time, like 250 miles into the bush... on the 2nd day of a 4 day weekend trip. For my money, on this one... go aftermarket.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode