How do I get original texture back on hardtop? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do I get original texture back on hardtop?

I am just about finished refiberglassing the gazillion cracks in my hardtop and am ready to paint. The problem is I've got all this nice smooth spots in the textured top where I've been sanding. Anybody know how to get the original textured finish back on my hard top? Or even something close. And what kind of paint would be best to use on the top. If anyone needs to know how to fiberglass a crack or create entire missing sections of a hardtop just email me and I can tell you what I've been going through. It's been tough but I've only spent about 30 bucks and I've got a top that's going to look as good as new.

Thanks
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 08:09 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: How do I get original texture back on hardtop?

You might make a plaster mold of the opposite sides irregular finish. Then when ready, put release agent on the mold, and fill with resin and apply it to the smooth area. I've used Duplicolor Truck and Bed covering to duplicate the irregular covering when painting the hard top, and it worked well. I would appreciate any information you have to share about doing your hardtop repair... email me at:

[email protected]

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 09:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: How do I get original texture back on hardtop?

When I had mine painted the shop put something in the paint that has a slight sand like texture. It's not as course as the stuff like you put on concrete steps. I've liked it for several years now. Looks good and keeps my boat from sliding around.
Another Larry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode