I found my heating up problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found my heating up problem

I finally figured out why my 401 was getting hot on the highway. A couple of months ago I changed my center pivot float bowl over to side pivot. During that same time I decided to lower the float level just a little bit mor for better off camber fuel control. It looks like at highway speed ( 3300 RPM ) The fuel level lowered just enough to create a lean condition, and my engine would heat up. I raised the float level 1 hex flat, and now I barely run 180 degrees. I always try to make thing more complicated than they are, should try the simple things first.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I found my heating up problem

did you also have a problem anytime you were running higher rpm's. like when off road and in low range?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It only heated up during sustained high RPM driving. It didnt really get hot hot, only about 205 degrees, but it just happened all of a sudden, and it kinda had me worried. It started after I put on different float bowl, and I really didn't put 2 and 2 together. I have a Carter high volume mechancal fuel pump, so it didn't starve, it just leaned out enough to heat up.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] In engineering skool they taught us that a lean condition meant that the fuel took longer to burn because the particles were too far apart to get quick combustion, and consequently the mixture was burning well into the exhaust stroke when the cylinder should have been cooling. So it normally occurred under a power condition......as in a sustained pull.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode