small steel residue left rust on hood..how2remove? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

small steel residue left rust on hood..how2remove?

While fitting the rollbar tie in I seem to have got some very small steel shavings on my white hood!! Does anyone have any idea
how I can remove this?

Alec

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20 dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights
'glass body tied in full cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 08:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: small steel residue left rust on hood..how2remove?

Alec

Want to hear a good one . I have been working on my CJ tub in the front yard for about a month now . Cutting and grinding like theres no tomorrow. For work transportation I drive a WHITE Honda Prelude. It is always parked near the tub . Well I got around to washing it the other day and I damn near freaked right out . The WHOLE entire car was covered with these little tiny rust specs. I thought my car was ruined. My son-in-law works for a body shop and he said to use some cutting compound and it came right out . I guess when the metal slivers landed on the car and with it getting damp in the morning it rusted the metal grindings.

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 05:53 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Do you think this "cutting compound" will work on cement??!! I was driving to work one day last week and got splattered by a freshly filled cement truck. I didn't think much about it, took it to car wash. But now...... Black car.....little white spots!! Dam!! Makes me wish I would have gotten the truck's number, but as usual, I was running late. Now I'm kicking myself..... need to get car cleaned up........

Just looking for an answer.....

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 09:50 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Cutting compound cuts through the clearcoat of the vehicle, getting the scratches, blemishes, and other "problems" out. Wax it afterwards with a high grade wax, I prefer "Liquid Glass". I learned this when <font color=blue>mxnhid</font color=blue> came up from Boston to build his cage. He borrowed my '95 Trooper and went looking for steel, one of the places had a large dog that scratched the crap out of the doors. Regular rubbing compound was able to take most of it out, and he recommended the cutting compound. I had bought an 8" automotive buffer at a lawn sale about 6 months ago for $3 and it was very handy. I plan on doing the whole Trooper it looks so nice.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode