UPGRADING TO A YJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Addict

UPGRADING TO A YJ?

I'm thinking of upgrading to a yj from my 79 cj, if you can call it that. Does anyone have any advice on what to go after in a yj? I'm pretty partial to my 258, but mileage is a consideration. Four cyl./six cyl, manual/auto, rio grande/sport/laredo, t-case? Any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 07:52 PM

Re: UPGRADING TO A YJ?

I'd be looking for a 1991+ with a 4.0 6 cylinder.
This is the start year of the high port (HO) head plus fuel injection.
A lot more power and good mileage.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 08:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jake

Why would you want to go from a CJ to a YJ ? Is your CJ getting rusty [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ? Dont fear , it can be saved [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Tell us why Jake .

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Addict

It's a Q-trac. My wife and I are expecting our 2nd child soon, and although I'm an enineer, I don't have a degree or the money a degreed engineer would make. I've repaired the frame four times, it should be replaced, but I don't have the time to tackle a project of that magnitude. The wife and I can't bear the thought of not having a jeep, so we're trying to find something that won't nickle dime us "as bad" as the old cj. Anymore help would be appreciated. I know there are some knowledgable yj guys out there. I'm a little nervous about yj's I keep seeing classifieds that say "only 10,000 on a rebuilt motor", or "only 20,000 on rebuilt trans".

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 09:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I understand . Talk to H8Monday , he is very knowledgable as far as YJ`s go ( and Jeeps in general) . Your line
<font color=blue>"I keep seeing classifieds that say "only 10,000 on a rebuilt motor", or "only 20,000 on rebuilt trans".</font color=blue>

Thats like when I see ads in the local paper for CJ`s , they usually say " with minor rust " . Go look at them and they are practically falling to pieces [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AVOID the 80s models with the Peugot trans. It is possibly the worst trans Jeep ever used, then again, maybe you could say that about the SR-4. Anyway, avoid it at all costs!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 01:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Avoid the '87,its the only year they used the weak np207 transfercase,I believe they only used galvinized metal after '89 on the tub,Personally,I to would go with a '91+,4.0L for the excellent engine,I would go with an auto if you can find one,they are a grandson of the TF 999 and a good tranny,plus the auto kicks but offroad,(check the "winners" of the goodyear rockcrawl events etc,there mostly auto's).

Hey what am I saying,I'd never buy anything but a CJ. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jsjps
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 08:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

there is no way I'd ever buy a yj with perfectly good tj's selling for less and less $$$.. maybe you could keep the old trusty cj running just a couple more years and then buy a tj when they become a little less$$$$

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 11:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with the comment about the TJ's. You can pick up a fuel injected YJ around here for about $6-$7000, but TJ's are constantly comming down in price. A '97 that I just saw...Hard top, auto, six cyl, was $13,000. Alot of money, but It's a much better ride. Oh oh...not to slam the YJ, It's good too, just in a different way. I was going to buy a YJ, but decided to buy a parts donor CJ-7 and build a fantasic Jeep for the same price as a stock YJ was going to cost. But I have time on my hands. Good luck in your quest!

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode