The "Summer Camp Syndrome" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The \"Summer Camp Syndrome\"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Years ago I wrote an article which I titled: "The Summer Camp Syndrome". It was about these three high school seniors who had summer jobs working as counselors in a kid's summer camp. The camp also had three opposite-sex counselors, and as the boys arrived and laid eyes on the three girls, they were grossly disappointed, Lonnie Andersons they weren't. It looked as though it was going to be a VERY long summer. About three weeks later, they noticed that one chick was NOT AS BAD as the other two. Four weeks later, they noticed that a second chick had a GREAT PERSONALITY. Five weeks later, each of the three chicks had some very different, but nonetheless OUTSTANDING qualities. Six weeks later, everybody's paired up. SO.......what is this about and what has it got to do with Jeeps? Just this.......DON'T MISTAKE AVAILABILITY WITH SUITABILITY. Humans are wierd......when we see something often enough and long enough, all of a sudden it's PERFECT for us.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just because your uncle has a still-serviceable pull-out engine out of his old 80-Cylinder Desenberger, that doesn't mean it would make a good cheep Jeep mill.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 07:18 PM

Re: The \"Summer Camp Syndrome\"

Sure, Dave.
But where else am I going to hang my old pair of fuzzy dice?

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Truely spoken. It's kinda like the country & western tune "The girls all get prettier at closing time." It's how guys wind up with double-coyote-bagger cases on Sunday morning.

On the other hand, I knew a guy who could not come to a decision among alternatives to save his soul. He's still missing out on a lot of good stuff because he just can't make up his mind.

Like many things in life, it's a matter of moderation: look before you leap, but make damn sure you don't miss the whole opportunity for lack of leaping.

And yes, this does have something to do with jeeps, but I'm damned if I'll say what it is: decide for yourselves.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.
</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I suppose that the opposite side to that is the question that you should ask yourself when you are trying to make up your mind: "If not this; then WHAT? If not now; then WHEN?"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] And yes, the CHEAPER the engine is that you find, (even if it is an army surplus Hall-Scott out of a tank) the BETTER it seems to be for your Jeep. Free? Wow! It's PERFECT for my Jeep![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 01:40 AM

Dave, I know exactly what you mean by this.
For six years I worked at a Boy Scout Ranch in the Davis Mountains in West Texas.
There were about 75 staffers there for 8 weeks.
About 5 of these people were of the opposite sex.
When all the staff arrived we looked at them and almost immediately said, "We can do better."
Although I never hooked up with any of them, they did begin to look better throughout the summer.
The reason I never hooked up is because on the weekends we went into town and we saw some "normal" girls.
As I grew older still working there, I began to sit back and watch the other guys and how they acted toward the girls.
I grew older and the girls seemed to grow younger, so I held off.
All the younger guys went through this same "Summer Camp Syndrome" and as the summer drew to an end the girls who were hooked up to guys at the time expected the relationships to go on fro ever.
Once the guys got back to civilization, they realized that there were much better choices in the city, so they proceeded to break off the girls.

This could be like if you buy a certain part for the jeep, and later you find a better part, so you remove the old one, sell it, and put the new part on.
I guess this could also be applied to the dating scene.
You start out with one and keep upgrading until you have the perfect spouse.

"I see." the blind man said to the deaf woman.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 08:37 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Is this anything like people with 33" and 35" tires putting Dana 60's in their Jeeps? Sorry to offend any of you who have done this - but this has to be one of the biggest waste's of money I have seen...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 11:54 AM

That's pretty common in small towns...
People confuse 'availability' with 'lack of options'...

They mistake availability for quality...

Watch any day time TV...
How do some of those "Females" get pregnant in the first place?
I read about those women in the "REAL MANS HANDBOOK"...
Something about a 10' pole.....?.....

People ask me why I haven't married at almost 40....
Haven't found the right one, Jeep or woman...

May Grandpa used to say, "You get what you settle for..."
And truer words were never spoken....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what's wrong with a Dana 60 and 35s? For all you know, i vould have 5 million horsepower, and those little 35 splines aren't enough, even with only 35s

Sorry, had to do it, the voices told me to
BJ

Of course it's hard, that's the point!!! If i wanted easy, i'd drive on the freeway.
FJ???? Does that stand for FAKE JEEP???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode