Off Roading Forums banner

When jeepn, what do you carry our tools in?

1K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Sycho15 
G
#1 ·
One of the things that bothers me when offroad is the rattling noise of misc. tools. Im not sure a tool box is the answer.... any suggestions?

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

G
#2 ·
I keep all mine in milk crates, because they're easy to tie down and remove later. I'll toss a garbage bag over em to prevent mud in them and or losing them if I hit a big bump. They might rattle, but I usually don't pay much attention to that. my .02

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

#4 ·
I was just packing these 2 "Army Ammo Cans" i use about 30 minutes ago, they are about 24"deep x 8" wide x 18" tall, (the lid has a rubber seal to keep everything air tight) i also use a plastic milk crate or two,
i was thinking about making some special boxes that permantly mount,(i've though of this alot and seen some nice custom boxes out there), but i like to take everything out to cleanup. as far as rattles and noises, i thought thats why they made radios/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

#6 ·
I found some large olive drab canvas tool bags at the surplus store. They are 12" long x 6" wide x
4'" high with a hard masonite insert sewn into the bottom to keep it flat. They have two heavy carry
straps, large pockets on the outside with snap close flaps and small pockets on the inside for little
stuff. The are identical the the one issued to me by the Air Force which they made me give back
when I wouldn't re-enlist.

BTW - I like the subject, What do I carry OUR tools in? Sounds like some journeymen I've
worked with.

G
#8 ·
Metal ammo cans for small stuff; I have some bags sewn from old jeans that I tuck similar items into (like, all box end wrenches in one, all screwdrivers in another) and a milk crate bungeed to the roll bar for bigger stuff.

'81 CJ7, '96 ZJ, Moab every summer!

#10 ·
Put headers and some thrush type mufflers on your rig; take out your carpet, dashboard, and rear seat; finally, put some big nasty knobby tires on it. The road noise and engine roar will be so loud and echoing in your tub when you travel on the hardball, you never know if those tools are rattling or not!

By the way, would you mind bringing **our** tools over next weekend? I am in the middle of a big project!

G
#11 ·
OUR tools :) ..... No wonder my father doesnt like me to go looking around in his tool drawers. That reminds me, I still have my neighbors $200 Proto torque wrench.

YJ94,
Actually, I could almost see myself wrapping each individual tool ..look out for the anal retentive Jeeper. I got out of my Jeep today and threw a few pieces of duct tape on my roller fair lead to quiet it down a bit.

Taz-RLM,
I've seen those bags you guys are talking about but nothing big enough to hold more than two or three wrenches... I'll hit the surplus stores tommorrow.

Thanks for the responses and I'll be returning everyones tools when Im done with them :)

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

G
#12 ·
I have a Craftsman tool kit that came in a real nice plastic case, fits under the back seat and is held there with bungies. NEVER leave things like tools unsecured, they can become missles. BTW, the tool kit is pretty complete, I figure anything I can't so with the kit is probably not fixable on the trail anyway.
While we are on the subject of carrying things, one item I carry that people seldom think of and has come in handy more than once is an old pair of high top Converse shoes. If you ever got stuck in the mud and need to winch out, you will understand. And high tops won't get sucked off your feet in the mud.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

#14 ·
Larry is right! If you haven't tried that Castrol waterless/towel-less hand cleaner yet...get some!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif My garage doesen't have a washup sink, and the wife hates me bringing in all the grease, so I tried some. It wont clean up your hands "Perfectly". But good enough for a quick test drive, or at least to get into the house. I carry all my stuff in .50 cal and 20mm ammo cans. If the stuff rattles around in there, add a couple rags, or more stuff! The handles are great for tying them down also.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G
#15 ·
Ammo cans work well..but I save the ammo cans for nuts and bolts and that kind of stuff....I had all my tools in a plastic tackle box(hey I got it for free) but now I have WAY too many tools so for xmas santa brought me a Craftsman 4 drawer tool box and I will just use that...I can handle the rattling and the toolbox locks up so the drawers won't slide open plus now the tools are more or less organized. I know a lot of people don't like carrying tool boxes but so far it works good for me.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G
#16 ·
I have an ammo can, two soft bags, and two hard plastic molded cases (those sets that you get from sears) - one is the good Craftsman stuff, the other is the cheaper stuff that just has "sears" on the case. I got that because I'm the kind of guy who can't say "no" to someone in trouble, and last year at Pismo some guy had burned out his starter in the river. I lent him my box of Craftsman stuff since we were busy draining water from my buddy's engine (don't ask), and he left the box on the ground, in the sand. Big wave comes in, there goes half my tools. The rest were handed to me in a big lump of sand and saltwater. I think I could actually HEAR them rusting /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. The guy just said "sorry" and took off.

But I digress. I got a decent sized toolbag at WalMart, believe it or not. It was only 15 bucks. It's big enough to hold a wide selection of tools, plus some u-joints, and other small stuff. My other bag is mostly recovery equipment.

Marc
Contagious Off-Road

G
#17 ·
Well seeing as how I'm crammed into a CJ5 I pit my tools anywhere and everywhere they'll fit. I think Jay Angler has the right idea but if it really bugs you you could throw them in a box and pack it with expanding foam and cut your tools out when you need them, or there's always offroad AAA:)Just kidding, I found these 20mm ammo cans at northren hydralics that fit perfect under a cj front seat and are yank strap sized. Happy Jeeping
Travis

#18 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Uh....Marc, did you ever wonder why a guy ends up at a Jeep do with no tools? Because he LOST HIS that's why. Heh heh....that Pismo weekend is one sandfest all right. We went there with my pickup in '74 and I thought we would NEVER get the last of the sand out of it./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

#19 ·
Larry,
I found a 24"long canvas/cordura tool bag at a builder store from bucket boss. It is kinda like the bags you put in those plastic buckets, with several velcro closures on outside pockets and several open pockets inside. I keep a 24" prybar in it along with larger hand tools. There is enough room for a spare rear drive shaft (when I have the CV driveshaft the old one can be the spare)/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif. I think it was on sale for $35 and included a smaller bag of the same type that I put a folding lug wrench, breaker bar and lug nut sockets etc. in. I like having the wheel/tire tools and recovery straps separate from my other tools. Warn's bag for their recovery tools is nicely divided for their accessories also. Keeping it all secure isn't as easy as I thought. Those Tuffy boxes look great, they are expensive but probably worth it to keep everything contained. Bungee cords still let things move around a little. The ammo cans sound good also but not sure if they are big enough for the bags that I have everything in. Again, there is another rationale for a more powerful stereo system to drown out the rattles/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif. Lots of good ideas out there folks/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif!!

Brit
85 CJ7

G
#20 ·
I guess it depends on what tools you want. You could always remove the back seat and bolt in one of those big red standup tool chest. How cool would that be to have your shop where ever you are. There's a mod! Okay, maybe I should put more thought into these things.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G
#21 ·
I currently have a steel "box" with a hinged lid. I removed my rear seat and it fits nicely between the side walls. I also know a bunch of people who buy those plastic containers from Pepboys and Walmart for like $50 which are water proof and large enough to put everything into.

I do agree about getting headers. I can't hear anything with my new v8 and headers.

Take care

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G
#22 ·
I too use ammo cans, but to combat the rattling, I took a fellow jeepers advice and got some 1/4" thick foam, lined the whole inside with it, and Herculined the outside when I did the interior of my Jeep. Works good, no noise, and easy access!! Good luck....Oh yeah, I have on occasion taken my roll-away in my Jeep, we went on a 2 week trip, but had a base camp, came in VERY handy espescially when air tools were needed/preferred!! Have fun....Mark

66 CJ-5
225"Dauntless"V-6
33" Goodyear Wrangler MT's
2.5" Susp. & 1.5" shackle lifts

#23 ·
You can stuff so many tools in the bag that I am talking about that I can't carry it full. My entire 1/4",
3/8" and 1/2" socket set with rachects, extentions, and both shallow and deep sockets will only fill it
about 2/3 of the way.

#24 ·
I bought a multi-piece Craftsman set that came in a 4-drawer injection-molded plastic toolchest. It fits perfectly behind my back seat. You can buy the box separately for like $30-40 I think. The rest of my tools are in Bestop Jamboree Storage Modules on the wheelwells...the rattling isn't all that noticeable.

#25 ·
I use a Walmart bought plastic tool box that holds enough tools to rebuild my Jeep and then stuffed with shop rags to eliminate the noise, strapped to the top of a Tuffy box that fits between the wheel wells, behind the rear seat, filled with spare parts, electric (12V converted), and air tools. with this set up it takes about 1 minute to get the box out and reach the parts. It's also light enough to carry around. With the shop rags in both boxes I have no noise to contend with,,,, other than the noises the Jeep is making as it tweaks up and over the boulders.

GP'n
69 Cammando
78 Cherokee Chief
87 Wrangler
92 Cherokee Limited

G
#26 ·
you guys carry air tools?? how man gallon storage tank do you need to be sufficient right now I have a bumer that holds air, what types of tools do you carry air rachets?? impact guns? what?
84 cjay7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.