When jeepn, what do you carry our tools in? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When jeepn, what do you carry our tools in?

One of the things that bothers me when offroad is the rattling noise of misc. tools. Im not sure a tool box is the answer.... any suggestions?

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: When jeepn, what do you carry our tools in?

I keep all mine in milk crates, because they're easy to tie down and remove later. I'll toss a garbage bag over em to prevent mud in them and or losing them if I hit a big bump. They might rattle, but I usually don't pay much attention to that. my .02

Steve
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<font color=red>J</font color=red>ust <font color=red>E</font color=red>mpty <font color=red>E</font color=red>very <font color=red>P</font color=red>ocket[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 05:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I got one of BestTop's Rear Storage Boxes for Christmas. I am planning to put tools, straps, and everything else I can think of in there. It fits perfectly behind the back seat.

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5" lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI?</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 05:58 PM

I was just packing these 2 <font color=green>"Army Ammo Cans"</font color=green> i use about 30 minutes ago, they are about 24"deep x 8" wide x 18" tall, (the lid has a rubber seal to keep everything air tight) i also use a plastic milk crate or two,
i was thinking about making some special boxes that permantly mount,(i've though of this alot and seen some nice custom boxes out there), but i like to take everything out to cleanup. as far as rattles and noises, i thought thats why they made radios[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

3/4tonYJ
<font color=red>My Jeep Page
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 06:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use a combo of the two, big tools go in the milk crate along with WD40 (a wet distributors best friend) and straps and small goodies go in ammo cans[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
-Marky

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 06:47 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I found some large olive drab canvas tool bags at the surplus store. They are 12" long x 6" wide x
4'" high with a hard masonite insert sewn into the bottom to keep it flat. They have two heavy carry
straps, large pockets on the outside with snap close flaps and small pockets on the inside for little
stuff. The are identical the the one issued to me by the Air Force which they made me give back
when I wouldn't re-enlist.

BTW - I like the subject, What do I carry OUR tools in? Sounds like some journeymen I've
worked with.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like to put wrenches in those roll up canvas "bags", simply insert each one in the given pockets and roll it up, then when you need'em they're all organized for you.

rlm93yj

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Metal ammo cans for small stuff; I have some bags sewn from old jeans that I tuck similar items into (like, all box end wrenches in one, all screwdrivers in another) and a milk crate bungeed to the roll bar for bigger stuff.

'81 CJ7, '96 ZJ, Moab every summer!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>A towel! Easy and common! I wrap each piece individually... the rattling drives my A type personality nuts, too!

<font color=blue>Jon-YJ94
<font color=red>a work in progress
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 10:05 PM
Addict

Put headers and some thrush type mufflers on your rig; take out your carpet, dashboard, and rear seat; finally, put some big nasty knobby tires on it. The road noise and engine roar will be so loud and echoing in your tub when you travel on the hardball, you never know if those tools are rattling or not!

By the way, would you mind bringing **our** tools over next weekend? I am in the middle of a big project!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode